OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which One?

Started by vt35mag, July 07, 2016, 07:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

Halloran Metal Mouth
or
Brad Roberts bronzed glass/aluminum in a poplar pot
or
Brad Roberts bronzed glass/aluminum in a zebra wood pot

What is the differences between the zebra wood and poplar other than 10 bucks?

Fieldturkey

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

larry9988

Buy them all, keep the one you like the best, sell the rest. May take a little loss but you will have the call you prefer and won't be wondering if you made the right decision.

Dr Juice

vt35mag

The problem I will have buying them all is I wont want to give any of them up!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: vt35mag on July 08, 2016, 08:57:29 AM
The problem I will have buying them all is I wont want to give any of them up!
Nothing wrong with that. Welcome to the family!!

vt35mag

Quote from: MDTOM84 on July 08, 2016, 09:09:36 AM
Send me a PM with your cell number and I can send you sound files for both of the Roberts, the Poplar and zebrawood bronzed glass over aluminum

PM sent!

vt35mag

Well, after hearing the sound files MDTOM84 sent me I decided to order Brad's Zebrawood... And David's Metal Mouth!  I liked what I heard with the poplar, but the front of the yelp with the zebrawood did a little more for me.

I just hope that I am able to put up a couple calls in the classifieds, but we will see.  I don't know if I have the capacity.  I usually apply my dad's philosophy on guns to my turkey calls, "You never sell'm, only buy'm."

outdoors

I UNDERSTAND 100%
  "You never sell'm, only buy'm."
         You will never know

Listening to both from the same person gives you a better choice
Than hearing them from two others , playing m
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Fieldturkey

I might be the only one here that feels like this but I own both of the Roberts pots and I am very underwhelmed by the sound. They are beautiful but I don't think they are special sound wise

letinmfly

Take a listen at Mark Cornelius' new Cherry glass over aluminum on his FB page. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

SteelerFan

Here's a head to head comparison - same crappy indoor conditions, but both played with the same maccasar Ebony striker:

https://youtu.be/Z0YmcRg9tTU

I like the sound of Mac's cherry glass / aluminum too. Seems the aluminum soundboard has found its way in 2016 among the makers...

I think you'll be happy with what you picked out - it's a start  :camohat:

Wvgobbler

I think your going to be happy with both the ones you picked. Both sound good and both will call turkeys in. I also want to add in the future if you buy more calls you really should look into Lon trice he makes a heck of a pot call. His black acrylic calls are hard to beat and really all his calls are hard to beat. His black acrylic is one of the best calls I have ever heard and I'm sure many will agree. And another plus to Lon there isn't a finer man than him either.

vt35mag

Well after sleeping on it I decided to get the poplar too... Play them both for myself and keep the one I like more.  A lead time of 2-3 months played into that decision a bit as well.