turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Howitzer call...

Started by mastevt, June 21, 2016, 02:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastevt

Have a good friend of mine who works as a bomb tech out at Whiteman AFB.  This past Christmas, His dept. drew names for Christmas, and he got his commanding officers name, in which John had me make him a call.  Fast forward, his commanding officer inquired if I could make a turkey call out of a 105mm Howitzer shell from the AC 130 Gunship.  Challenge accepted.  Took awhile, but working carefully and making jigs, to get it cut down, This is what I came up with.  Had to cut it 1/2 just to fit it in the lathe to make the final cut.  I posed it with a 300 Win Mag for comparison.  I doubt it will ever see the field, but find itself among his collection of Military memorabilia.   Thanks for looking.

Dr Juice

Indeed. However, may be a little heavy for the vest :-). Hooah!

All The Way!

sbbow

Always nice to see your work Scott!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mossyhorn2

That is a cool call for sure. Just curious if you were happy with the sound? Great Job!!

mastevt

Quote from: mossyhorn2 on June 21, 2016, 05:35:14 PM
That is a cool call for sure. Just curious if you were happy with the sound? Great Job!!

John, my friend, picked up the call to deliver it, and let him decide where he wanted it conditioned, then bring it back.  But after he saw it, he didn't want it conditioned.  I was a little disappointed, because I really wanted to hear it.  If he changes his mind, I'll get a recording of it.  Thanks for the kind comments.

Bowhuntr73

Now thats impressive looking!!

markjm15

Hahaha that's awesome! What the heck does it sound like?!
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

greengunner

That's awesome. You my friend have great vision and the talent to bring it to life.

jed clampett

That is really neat...bet he was very happy with it!

mastevt

Quote from: markjm15 on July 04, 2016, 02:27:47 AM
Hahaha that's awesome! What the heck does it sound like?!

unfortunately he didn't want it conditioned.  It's just another piece in his collection of war memorabilia from being in the service for many years.  If he changes his mind, I will definitely make a sound file and share it.  I can't imagine it sounding much different than any of my other pots I make.  It's just basically a pot made to fit inside the diameter of the shell. 

Thanks for all the kind comments.  Much appreciated.  And thanks to all the vets out there!!!

larry9988

I could not have stood it, I would had to a have seen how it sounded. You are a stronger man than me. And by the way, that's a darn cool call.

mgm1955