OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dymondwood?? Help

Started by neal, April 04, 2011, 09:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

I have always used square stock rather than dowels.  I buy mine in blanks that are 1 1/2"x2 1/8" x 8". Generally the blanks are closer to 2 1/4" thick, so I can resaw and get 6 strikers blanks from a block that costs me a little less than $10 before shipping.  I have minimal waste, which is what I like about the square blanks.  I end up with a cut-off on each end of my striker that is about 1/4" long, which took some getting used to and a little more care. 
I also mark center on my square blanks with the bandsaw and my rip fence.  I put a + shaped cut on each end and predrill one end about 1/8" deep on the end that goes to the spur drive.  This helps keep the dymondwood from splitting when you tighten the tailstock.  The + cut on the ends help align center, and on the spur drive allows the teeth of the spur to go into the blank.  It works great for me...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Wow - never looked at it like that.  Thanks for the info Wendell. 

mountman62

you can give Brian at www.heirloomgamecalls.com a call, he has been using the dymondwood since Curtis started selling it, he done some of the prototype work with it, try 318-423-0437, think thats his number, be ready to talk though, he is not on oldgobbler, but is on several call making forums
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]