turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dymondwood?? Help

Started by neal, April 04, 2011, 09:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

Hey guys I'm looking to order some dymondwood to build strikers, I can't seem to come up with anything besides pen blanks which are a little to short.

So any info on a supplier would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Gobblerstopper

River Ridge Products. 

I couldn't find dymondwood on Cousineau Wood Product's webpage.  I know they used to sell dymalux and spectraply (which is a lot lighter than dymondwood) but don't even see the dymalux anymore?

Wolfpack

I used Curtis a couple years ago when he was selling some Dymonwood
drops, but have since gone directly to Rutland plywood corporation.

The good is the material is very dense and works well for Strikers.
The bad is that if your after dowels the minimun is ten panels and
You have a six week turnaround time.

I ordered a couple of panels to fill in with but will not have them until
around April 15Th. you can order one 51"X16 1/2" panel at a time.
I got some Dowels in December and they are a nice to work with
if you can justify purchasing ten panels.
Dewey

Dymohttp://www.rutply.com/products/dymondwood.html

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: Gobblerstopper on April 04, 2011, 11:21:06 PM
River Ridge Products. 

I couldn't find dymondwood on Cousineau Wood Product's webpage.  I know they used to sell dymalux and spectraply (which is a lot lighter than dymondwood) but don't even see the dymalux anymore?

I didn't even realize there was much of a difference between dymondwood and dymalux. Good to know before I dropped any money.

Gobblerstopper

I don't know if there is a difference between dymalux and dymondwood, but the spectraply I got was a lot lighter weight and the pieces used to laminate were thicker than dymondwood.

I think dymalux and dymondwood are the same or similar.

lightsoutcalls

Dymalux is made in Pakistan.  This product was previously known as "pakkawood" and was used a lot in knife scales, etc.  I got this information directly from Curtis last year when I ordered some dymalux. 
Dymondwood is made of birch plys here in the USA. 

I have used both and much prefer the dymondwood.  I literally have to re-sharpen my gouges multiple times on a single striker of the dymalux.  I can generally turn 10-15 dymondwood strikers before re-sharpening.  I don't know if it is the resin or possibly silica content in the wood of the dymalux, but something definitely dulls my tools quicker.  I love some of the dymalux colors, but I don't have time to re-sharpen repeatedly on a single striker, besides the fact that I grind my tools away quicker. 

I use River Ridge as well.  They are great to work with and have a quick turn around time with no minimum order. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Wolfpack

What I was calling Dymondwood drops may have been Dymalux, I'm not sure.
In any case it worked well for me.

Dad ordered some spectraply for some pots and it didn't work out very well.

The Dymondwood is hell to turn for pots I had to true them up on my metal lathe before
I had any chance to finish turning them, but they sounded great.
Dewey

Gobblerstopper

I'm not sure if River Ridge told me or if it was someone else, but I belive there is only one producer of dymondwood in the world.  It may have been River Ridge.

lightsoutcalls

Dymondwood is made by Rutland Plywood.  Dymalux is a completely different product made in Pakistan. 

Steve at River Ridge is great to work with and very knowledgeable about this stuff.  I believe he told me they used to sell the dymalux material... don't remember if he said why they no longer carry it.  I have used both and much prefer the dymondwood.  You can tell the difference in the plys of the materials as well.  Dymondwood has more consistent, generally thinner plys than the dymalux. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

swampgobbler

Curtis will have more dymalux in 60 days for those wondering.

neal

So I look up this River Ridge products and low and behold this place is 30 minutes from my house!!!!

I'll have to take a trip and pick this stuff up direct!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

WillowRidgeCalls

Yes neal, Rivers Edge is right up there in your neighbor hood.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Atlas Billards (cuestik.com) has the best Dymondwood prices that I have found.  I've only placed 1 order there and had a friend place of couple of orders, but the service was excellent.  They only carry dowels in .938" x 28.5" & 1.375" x 28.5" but seem to carry most of if not all of the colors.  My price for (3) .938" dowels shipped was $48. 

Good Luck,
Chris