OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi #7 Patterns.....Thanks Environ-Metal

Started by Gobble!, April 04, 2011, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

ILIKE HEVI 13,
    I shoot a beretta xtrema  hevi 13  3.5/ 2.25/ 7's,  Urika  Hevi 13  3/ 2/ 7's,  Rem 870  Fed HW
3/ 1 7/8 / 7's.  Been shooting 7's for years from nitro and Fed before Hevi 13 started producing them.  I am quite aware of what the guns look like on paper.  I have seen custom guns from nitro that pattern awesome on paper knock turkeys down at long range as well as many other guns.  The reason is there are allot of factors in a hunting situation that are not present in an "ivory tower" situation shooting off of a rest at paper.  The first thing is the turkey is "alive"and can move. He is called a "wild turkey".  The other is that if you are in the woods looking at a bird at 60yds in early light..you cant see all the limbs.   Also sit at the base of a tree for 2-3 hours without moving and then throw up and shoot at 50-60yds (little different than a rest)   I could go on and on about different factors that are present in hunting situations.  Also im sure you have noticed that there can be a inconsistency in all shotgun shells.  Patterns look different all the time with the same load in the same gun. Also weather conditions effect patterns somtimes significantly.   Less than 40yds your generally ok.  Stretching the shot and you got problems. I kill a limit of turkeys every year and have for 25 years.  They are all within 40-45yds..interesting that yall think thats not possible as i know you are avid turkey hunters.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I see what you are saying.  And I will also admit that wind will play havoc on longer shots with patterns.  So on a windy day I for sure wouldn't recommend a longer shot.  But I agree 30-40yds is where I like to shoot em.   :icon_thumright:

coyotetrpr

The real sport in turkey hunting is making him gobble at 3 feet,then spook him and try to get him at 80 yds. The best of both worlds, up close and personal combined with long range marksmanship.                                                                                                                                              Just kidding for those who may have been offended by this. :z-guntootsmiley:
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

doepee

Quote from: coyotetrpr on April 07, 2011, 02:56:21 PM
The real sport in turkey hunting is making him gobble at 3 feet,then spook him and try to get him at 80 yds. The best of both worlds, up close and personal combined with long range marksmanship.                                                                                                                                              Just kidding for those who may have been offended by this. :z-guntootsmiley:
;D ;D ;D ;D

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Longshanks on April 05, 2011, 11:25:31 PM
Shooting a turkey at 60 yds is not turkey hunting it's turkey shooting. Been turkey hunting for 37 years and the sport has changed and not for the better.There's allot of people out in the woods these days with a high tech gun sitting over a pile of corn who call themselves turkey hunters. its a disgrace..

+ 1
it's not the harvest,it's the chase