OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi #7 Patterns.....Thanks Environ-Metal

Started by Gobble!, April 04, 2011, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Before the rain came in Sunday I got to do a little shooting. I wanted to shoot this year #7s, last years #7s, and last years Magnum Blends but the weather didn't allow it. I only got to shoot this years #7s at 20 and 40 yards.
Temperature was around 55 degrees. Shot at 20 yards to make sure this years shells shot the same as last years shells. Luckily they did.
First pattern is at a taped 20 yards. The second is at a taped 40 yards.
Last year with the 3.5in 2.25oz #7s I got 324 in a 10in circle at 40 yards. This year I got 225. I know this is a great pattern but last year if a bird was hung up at 60 I would of took the shot, this year I'm going to have to give him a pass. Thanks Environ-Metal for changing the wad in these shells so they could produce deteriorated patterns. Lot number 300487.

Gobble!

Has anyone shot a 3in 2oz #6 Hevi 13 shell from this year?
If they changed the wad in those shells as well then they will most likely be patterning around 150 or less which can be achieved with lead.

Gobble!

Quote from: Spuriosity on April 04, 2011, 08:56:30 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on April 04, 2011, 08:40:57 PM
Has anyone shot a 3in 2oz #6 Hevi 13 shell from this year?
If they changed the wad in those shells as well then they will most likely be patterning around 150 or less which can be achieved with lead.
Just bought the shells from Cabelas, not sure about what lot # is from what year.

3" 1187 26" polished barrel/ JH .660
H13 3-2-6 (lot# 200926)
183/10 @ 40 and 62 degrees

on average thats where I have seen people in the past. I wonder if only the wad in the 3.5" shells was changed.  I don't know and either do they probably.

Dwnforce

Heads rocked at 20-30 with that!!!! :you_rock: Sign of the times...everyones cuttin cost and trying to make more $..Unacceptable to me when you have to cut an arm off to buy a box..And as far as making a poke at a bird at 60...what happend that we have to take that shot...I think it's because guys cant get a bird in beyond 40 anymore...Supposed to be an up close game.

cannonball

I wish I had some of last years shells to compare my new ones to.

Gobble!

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 04, 2011, 09:06:38 PM
Heads rocked at 20-30 with that!!!! :you_rock: Sign of the times...everyones cuttin cost and trying to make more $..Unacceptable to me when you have to cut an arm off to buy a box..And as far as making a poke at a bird at 60...what happend that we have to take that shot...I think it's because guys cant get a bird in beyond 40 anymore...Supposed to be an up close game.

Doubtful
I prefer the 40+ yard shots. Its not really a problem getting them inside 40, most of my hunting partners have choke/shell combos that I wouldn't shoot 40 yards with so their birds need called in close. I enjoy the bird at 40 as much as I do at 20. I just spent all that money on shells and a choke so I can shoot the birds a little farther away. Last year 60 yards would not of been a poke it would of been a dead bird.

Mag10

Quote from: Longshanks on April 05, 2011, 11:25:31 PM
Shooting a turkey at 60 yds is not turkey hunting it's turkey shooting. Been turkey hunting for 37 years and the sport has changed and not for the better.There's allot of people out in the woods these days with a high tech gun sitting over a pile of corn who call themselves turkey hunters. its a disgrace..

I must have missed the vote, was Longshanks appointed too write the rule "Book of what is turkey hunting"  It is this kind of stuff we don't need!  You have NO right to judge anyone's way of hunting as long as it is within the law. 
  The anti's use this stuff against us all.  If you don't like the way someone hunts keep it to yourself or tell your wife. Do not put it in print.   I have no right to say anything about the way you hunt, so Please don't take this wrong,  we need to stick together or fall together.  Marty

Mossy517

Quote from: Mag10 on April 06, 2011, 01:03:42 AM
Quote from: Longshanks on April 05, 2011, 11:25:31 PM
Shooting a turkey at 60 yds is not turkey hunting it's turkey shooting. Been turkey hunting for 37 years and the sport has changed and not for the better.There's allot of people out in the woods these days with a high tech gun sitting over a pile of corn who call themselves turkey hunters. its a disgrace..

I must have missed the vote, was Longshanks appointed too write the rule "Book of what is turkey hunting"  It is this kind of stuff we don't need!  You have NO right to judge anyone's way of hunting as long as it is within the law. 
  The anti's use this stuff against us all.  If you don't like the way someone hunts keep it to yourself or tell your wife. Do not put it in print.   I have no right to say anything about the way you hunt, so Please don't take this wrong,  we need to stick together or fall together.  Marty

:agreed: :agreed:
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Longshanks on April 06, 2011, 08:13:26 AM
    I will clarify.. My biggest frustration is the fact that it has become a widespread problem in the state i am from that people are illegally baiting turkeys..one of my local taxidermists has taken in a large number of turkeys..guess what percentage of these turkeys have corn in them..100 percent.
    I have also guided for allot of years and i have a number of guys that come in and take shots at 45+ believing that their high tech guns will easily shoot that far.  It results in allot of missed turkeys.
    I have taught allot of kids how to turkey hunt and i am certainly not promoting or teaching these kids to see," just how far they can shoot at a turkey".  I have taught them how to call, when to call, and where to set up: as to bring the turkey to them.  Has resulted in some amazing turkey hunters. The way we hunt is the legacy we leave behind.
    Not sure which part of that upset you guys so much..the baiting issue or taking unethical shots..but the turkeys i see shot at less than 40yds away..regardless of how spectacular your gun is..seem to ride home in the back of the truck the majority of the time.  :begging:

It's all called doing your homework and knowing your equipment.  Guys that shoot TSS will laugh at 60yd shots.  I suggest you go check out what those loads will do.  Some guns with certain loads including Hevi-13 the good stuff can reach out and still kill effectively at the 60yd mark.   

Gobble!

I will clarify.. My biggest frustration is the fact that it has become a widespread problem in the state i am from that people are illegally baiting turkeys..one of my local taxidermists has taken in a large number of turkeys..guess what percentage of these turkeys have corn in them..100 percent.
     I have also guided for allot of years and i have a number of guys that come in and take shots at 45+ believing that their high tech guns will easily shoot that far.  It results in allot of missed turkeys.
     I have taught allot of kids how to turkey hunt and i am certainly not promoting or teaching these kids to see," just how far they can shoot at a turkey".  I have taught them how to call, when to call, and where to set up: as to bring the turkey to them.  Has resulted in some amazing turkey hunters. The way we hunt is the legacy we leave behind.
     Not sure which part of that upset you guys so much..the baiting issue or taking unethical shots..but the turkeys i see shot at less than 40yds away..regardless of how spectacular your gun is..seem to ride home in the back of the truck the majority of the time.  :begging:

99.9% of the people here will agree with you about baiting being unethical, thats why in most states it is illegal.

But there is nothing unethical about shooting birds at 40+ yards if you know your gun is capable of it. 2 of the birds I killed last year were at 40+ one at 44 the other at 52 and I was 100% confident in those shots. If I call in a old bird to 60 yards from 300 yards away and thats as close as he is coming and I have took the time to pattern my gun and know what it is capable of I will take the shot every time with complete confidence.

new2turkey

Quote from: Gobble! on April 06, 2011, 11:05:46 AM
     I have also guided for allot of years and i have a number of guys that come in and take shots at 45+ believing that their high tech guns will easily shoot that far.  It results in allot of missed turkeys.
     I have taught allot of kids how to turkey hunt and i am certainly not promoting or teaching these kids to see," just how far they can shoot at a turkey".  I have taught them how to call, when to call, and where to set up: as to bring the turkey to them.  Has resulted in some amazing turkey hunters. The way we hunt is the legacy we leave behind.
     Not sure which part of that upset you guys so much..the baiting issue or taking unethical shots..but the turkeys i see shot at less than 40yds away..regardless of how spectacular your gun is..seem to ride home in the back of the truck the majority of the time.  :begging:

99.9% of the people here will agree with you about baiting being unethical, thats why in most states it is illegal.

But there is nothing unethical about shooting birds at 40+ yards if you know your gun is capable of it. 2 of the birds I killed last year were at 40+ one at 44 the other at 52 and I was 100% confident in those shots. If I call in a old bird to 60 yards from 300 yards away and thats as close as he is coming and I have took the time to pattern my gun and know what it is capable of I will take the shot every time with complete confidence.

:agreed:

My patterns are spolid 40 yard patterns, but it is the limit for my gun. If my gun would produce the same patterns further downrange, I''d feel comforrtable shooting as far away as I knew patterns/ ethical velocity will hold.

pdaugherty

The fact that some hunters have guns/chokes/shells that will effectively kill a turkey at 50+ yards doesn't mean that they will always shoot at them at that distance. I love getting a smart old tom in close 25-35 yds and knowing that my hard work and hard hunting paid off. But we all know that there are times in turkey hunting when that bird just "hangs up" or just want come any further. Knowing my gun has the ability and has proven that it can kill a bird at 50yds is good to know. There are not many turkey hunters I know that would let a mature 4-5yr old bird walk if he wouldn't come any closer than 50yds. I know I'd smash him and I'm sure most of you would too if you could.

Longshanks

I'm not saying that you can't kill one at 60yds. My point is that you will lose some at that distance. I have seen it happen with the best gun/choke/shell combos. Shooting in a hunting situation is allot different than shooting off a rest in perfect conditions.
      I don't like to see turkeys crippled so rather than take a questionable shot I would let him walk. It's about respect for the wild turkey.

Hay Flats

I will clarify..illegally baiting has become a serious problem where I am from..
    I have also guided for allot of years and i have a number of guys that come in and take shots at 45+ believing that their high tech guns will easily shoot that far. It results in allot of missed turkeys.
    I have taught allot of kids how to turkey hunt and i am certainly not promoting or teaching these kids to see," just how far they can shoot at a turkey".  I have taught them how to call, when to call, and where to set up: as to bring the turkey to them. Has resulted in some amazing turkey hunters. The way we hunt is the legacy we leave behind.
    Not sure which part of that upset you guys so much..the baiting issue or taking unethical shots..but the turkeys i see shot at less than 40yds away..regardless of how spectacular your gun is..seem to ride home in the back of the truck the majority of the time.  :begging:

I'm with you on this one, I have read a number of times about nimrods that hear about the new super shells and are shooting at birds 50+ yards with out ever patterning there guns, they are doing more to damage our sport than anything, peppering birds and letting them die a slow death because they read that these new shells will kill birds at unheard of ranges is not cool! I worked next to a guy that sat on the phone and blabbed to his friends how he had these new shells "Hevi-13" and he could shoot 60-70+ he was using his factory full choke and could not figure out why the birds he had shot at of the weekend did not die but he told his Friends they all needed to buy the shells so they could shoot long range to! I begged him to buy a good choke and pattern his gun but he looked at me like I was from Mars.
I wanted to bounce his head off the table! I think (just my 2 cents) if a guy spends the time to dial in a rig to 50 he should spend an equal amount of time learning to get the bird inside 40 so he can crush him at 50 if needed and not spray and pray at 60, well that's my rant sorry!

Kurt

Gobble!

Quote from: Longshanks on April 06, 2011, 11:53:47 AM
I'm not saying that you can't kill one at 60yds. My point is that you will lose some at that distance. I have seen it happen with the best gun/choke/shell combos. Shooting in a hunting situation is allot different than shooting off a rest in perfect conditions.
      I don't like to see turkeys crippled so rather than take a questionable shot I would let him walk. It's about respect for the wild turkey.

not if you know your gun and the situation. I'm not saying Im going to fire off a shell at a old bird running at 60 yards.