turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another opinion

Started by Bowguy, May 23, 2016, 07:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Ok guys I know lots of guys are on the NY forum as well as here. I posted something there that's intrigued me.
The best gobbling days.
I've killed more than my fair share n been in the turkey woods a long time. I've noticed many people like warmer weather or certain weather system, they feel chances are better birds will talk.
Personally my best days have been cooler, less humid days.
If a thunderstorm hits the evening before though n stops come first light seems every bird hammers.
What is it like where you hunt?

guesswho

I also prefer cooler less humid days, but have noticed that turkeys don't really care what I prefer.   I have paid attention to different weather patterns, temps, and the last couple years even the barometric pressure.  I do believe that these may be a factor in some way, but not as big a factor as some may think.  I've convinced myself it's just turkeys being turkeys.  I've had days where they were knocking the bark off the trees, and ten miles down the road not a peep.  Then visa-versa.  I think it's more situational than anything else.  Overall population, hens no hens, breeding cycle, having to roost in a different spot vs. normal area, buddy or foe been killed, what happened the evening before like an encounter with predators or a territorial fight etc., and on and on.  Basically turkeys being turkeys.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tha bugman

I hunt everyday...rain or shine...but I really like those mornings with heavy dew

guesswho

I hunted with some old timers back in the 60's and 70's.    They swore by that heavy dew theory.   They would look at their windshield or feel the grass and say yup, going to be a good one today. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

zeke632

I wish I had kept a log of some sort over the years to see if I could figure some sort of pattern, but I havent. (I don't really believe that they can be patterned)  I'm blessed with having a job that has allowed me to be off entire seasons for the past 29 years. Unless its storming I'll go about everyday.  I get to hunt a lot.  My favorite days are overcast, cool mornings. I have nothing to back up why, just personal pref.  I agree with Guesswho, turkeys being turkeys. I've hunted for week and not hear a peep in several places, then talk to guys who say that turkeys are tearing it up, not to far from where I've been. For me, its all part of the fun of anticipation, disappointment and making it turkey hunting.

Smooth_Operator

In my area at least, cold to cool mornings have always been better for gobbling than warm, humid mornings. I'm going to hunt regardless, but if I see a cold morning in the forecast I get really excited...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

catdaddy

I agree with what's been said—Turkey will be Turkeys and you really can't accurately predict activity solely based on the weather.  I'll tell you about a correlation I have observed however.  I call it "wildlife on the move". I've noticed that in the pre-dawn hours as I am driving to wherever I am going , if I see a more that usual amount of deer crossing the road, coons, possums, skunks cats etc...  then I'd be willing to bet I am going to have an active morning.  Conversely—I've notice the reverse is true as well. 

Greg Massey

I agree in Tenn, i like the cooler less humid days. I don't carry for those hot humid days. I still hunt and if it's really hot, i stay close to watering holes or ponds. Never do see a lot of movement on those really hot days.

Bill Cooksey

Never been able to pin the weather with any real confidence, but if I see a rabbit while going to my first spot, a turkey is going to die. I can't claim it's 100%, but it's over 90%.

Rick Howard

As I sat awaiting the sun to rise this morning.  I contemplated this same subject.  I concluded that I need to be in the woods as often as possible.  I prefer cooler Temps though.  Keep it in the low 60's and I'm much happier.

Bowguy

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 23, 2016, 12:30:03 PM
Never been able to pin the weather with any real confidence, but if I see a rabbit while going to my first spot, a turkey is going to die. I can't claim it's 100%, but it's over 90%.
Well my theory on rabbits is they're luckier than the feet. The feet only mean the rabbit is dead. A live one is prob luckier. Think you're on to something!

silvestris

In Louisiana/Mississippi I find that 45 degrees and no wind with clear skies is ideal.  =/- ten degrees with little to no wind is good.  Colder, warmer, windier or cloudier than that usually results in somewhat of a decrease in activity.  But, boys will be boys.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LI Outdoorsman

I agree with Catdaddy and his wildlife on the move theory...When the birds are singing and the owls hooting and squirrells are scurring around thats a great indicator of action to come...but when all is silent,,it usually stays that way

TerryLNanny

I think the turkey's being turkey's is part of if, but pressure has alot to do with it also. I hunt around alot of closed area's and most mornings you can hear turkey's gobbling in there and nothing anywhere else.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

DirtNap647

I to like the cool days heavy dew... wonder if most find cool days to be better because maybe the hen sits on her nest leaving the gobblers lonely and when its hot & humid she doesn't have to as much