turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wood for pots

Started by Brad_23, May 21, 2016, 04:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_23

Where is the best place to buy wood for turning pots? I'm just starting out and have turned a couple so far that I'm am pleased with. But have several in the burn pile. Just wonder where is the best place to buy different types of wood.. Thx for any help..

mastevt

Find a local sawmill in your area.  I got two that I visit, and a lot of times, they give me stuff that nobody wants.

West Augusta

Just starting out,  use free or cheap wood until you get your dimensions and design down and then go to nice wood that you buy.  I started with free pallets. You can find nice wood if you look.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Mabren2

Both of the above responses are good advice. The sawmill I go to locally sometimes has a bin of short boards (around 2 ft) that you can mix and match any 7 boards for $25. I could get enough wood for around 40 pots there for $25, and it was top quality kiln dried lumber. Also for comparison, woodcraft sells cherry for $9.99 per board foot, and my sawmill sells it for $3.80.

misfire

Cabinet shops are good sources too. They throw away a lot of scrap that is pretty good for pots
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net