turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

maxus or cynergy?

Started by bowhunter84, May 10, 2016, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter84

i decided i wanted a new turkey gun so I got a browning maxus. while i was waiting for it to get to me i handled my buddy's browning cynergy.  Im considering selling/trading the maxus and getting a cynergy.
have any of y'all shot both and if so whats your opinion on the two?  does one pattern pattern better than the other?  i know the cynergy will have a good bit more recoil but since it will only be a turkey gun thats not a big deal to me.

JHoyle

I have shot both and really like both. It all depends on what u are looking for in a gun. The maxus is a good bit lighter. Both should shoot the same as they are both inv+ barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drenalinld

Double barrels usually give POA/POI problems. They are designed for field loads. When shooting heavy turkey loads POI rarely matches POA at 40 yards with factory beads. This is compounded with tight turkey chokes. Not only is it tough to get the two barrels to have the same POI it is very rare for them to hit POA with the beads. This can be fixed with an aftermarket sight if both barrels hit near enough to the same spot. Having a short range barrel and a long range barrel would sure be cool if you get it worked out.

CrustyRusty

Luckily Browning s are know for being well regulated, but should still be patterned to double check

drenalinld

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 11, 2016, 08:32:08 AM
Luckily Browning s are know for being well regulated, but should still be patterned to double check

I personally know two people who made turkey guns from them. One added an aftermarket sight, the other give up and sold it. The gun is not built for heavy turkey loads and extremely tight chokes.

codym

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 11, 2016, 08:32:08 AM

From what I hear Browning is the best about working with barrel regulation and POI/POA problems. This issue is that they will only work with you if it is out of their tolerances. I shoot o/u's for all my upland bird hunting and have some higher end Beretta's, CG's, and all sorts of American and Italian brands. I've seen barrel regulation issues on a beretta that was like 16' low and 8' to the right and the company said this was acceptable. I think browing says 8' variance is acceptable (don't quote me I'm not positive). This is fairly acceptable when wing shooting using open chokes, but is huge when using tighter Turkey chokes. Also remember that double barreled guns are designed to overlap at a set distance i.e. 20 yards at all other ranges the shot from those barrels are moving in opposite directions. I love the idea of a o/u turkey gun and I see guys on here that have great setups that they have got to work. I just know how frustrating it can be to get a single barreled gun dialed in and don't want to spend the coin on a higher end o/u and have to deal with trying to make it work. That being said I would get the SX3! Most of the features of the Maxus for a lot less, plus they make a model that is drilled and tapped.

CrustyRusty

Hey Cody, Im hoping you mean inches, not feet  :o. the Browning o/u's I have patterned have been fairley well regulated but even so I actually prefer single barrel myself for turkey hunting for your stated reasons. I have used a cynergy trap extensively and they shoot well but Id also agree with the sx3 that is d/t'd or a Sbe2 which is also tapped.

Patterning  one barrel is certainly the way to go.  Now n to the Maxus...I had a universal hunter, it was a great gun and threw the best turkey patterns of any gun I have ever owned.  But I bought is as a dedicated turkey killer and found that mounting a red dot on it was a nightmare.  Browning uses a proprietary base that uses an odd size screw with a star washer.  The base is high and only allows for scope use since the base is milled in the middle and can only be used with a scope or longer red dot that uses two mounting rings.  I tried getting a picatinny base made by EGW but was blown off so many times by them I gave up.  They must have been a bit intimidated by the mounting issues that they wanted no part of trying to make one themselves.  Again, the Maxus is a great gun but if you want to mount optics on it there will be a challenge to do so.  Hence why I now use a sbe2...I like an optic on my turkey gun and the sbe2 has a solid mount

codym

bowhunter84

well i ordered a brand new cynergy yesterday. should have it in a few days. now to figure out which chokes to use...

CrustyRusty

Which one did you order?  Post pics when you get it and good luck

bowhunter84

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 18, 2016, 08:05:16 AM
Which one did you order?  Post pics when you get it and good luck

i got a 26" cynergy with the max5 camo.  not a fan of the camo but it will do for a few years until i wear it down enough to get it dipped.

bowhunter84

kwild835

PALongspur

I love those guns! May have to have one of the new Ultimate Turkey models!

BandedSpur

Great looking rig. Love hunting with an O/U.