OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box call wood suggestions please

Started by Hankyorke, May 08, 2016, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspaci

I live cherry over poplar, my favorite, great roll over & can be raspy too.  Mike

Marc

If you are purchasing a custom call, I would talk to the call-maker and go off his/her recommendation.  The single largest benefit of ordering a custom call from a custom call maker is...  Well customizing it.

If you want something that sounds a bit different, I might also consider a scratch box call...  Some of the best cutts, clucks, and purrs, and a unique sound to the yelp (which I do feel is very realistic after some practice).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

trb136

Walnut over butternut would be my choice, If you want a loud ,raspy throaty sound use bloodwood.

Happy hooker

Zebrawood is such a hot trend now in pots but I don't see it used in box calls?? Is it too expensive or not well suited to boxes.

hunter22

Two callmakers that I consider some of the best told me their favorite woods for a short box were walnut over mahogany. I had each make me one in that combo and I carry these calls as much as any I have.

WillowRidgeCalls

One of my favorites is a sassafras/cedar combo, I've taken a lot of birds with that combo!
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott