OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box call wood suggestions please

Started by Hankyorke, May 08, 2016, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankyorke

I am fairly new to box calls, so forgive the rookie question...  I am a public land hunter, so for me; different is good.  I generally prefer a cleaner sound as I feel everyone is walking around the woods with a "raspy boss hen" call in their hand/vest.  I also like the idea of the traditional woods (i.e. all Walnut, Walnut over Mahogany, etc...)

Sound being more important than wood combo.

That said; in your opinion what wood combo to do you feel fits the bill?

MattinIdaho

I do have a Kenny Harrell walnut over walnut box that sounds fantastic. The sound it produces is exactly what your describing. It's also a beautiful box. I don't see many around though and I'm not sure if he is still making boxes or if he's even alive. It was a pita to get that box from him I remember.

Britton40

REBELYELL

Quote from: Britton40 on May 08, 2016, 04:48:34 PM
Walnut over butternut.

Good suggestion, that and tell the call maker what you want. Most can tune to your liking.

coyote1

I have a cherry over poplar that has a fairly clean sound.

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

TauntoHawk

I really like bloodwood over butternut, for a box that has a different sound from most of my others I have a persimmon over black limba thats a nasally balk of a yelp. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hankyorke

Thanks fellas!  I've been eye-balling Paul boxes on eBay for a while, suffering from paralysis via analysis...

Bowguy

I have a jatoba/poplar that is pretty clean. One wood combo that I love but raspier is purpleheart/cedar

ferocious calls

The wood selection is often less important than the construction of the call. While some woods lend themselves to more being more raspy, the grain and thickness can determine if the call has clear crisp yelps. I make a Cedar over Cedar that consistently produces clean yelps the way it is made. It can also be built to produce raspy if desired.

firedup

So many good choices and makers out there.  But if you want to go for what an old callmaker friend of mine described as a "clarion" tone, higher and clearer with not as much rasp, its hard to beat cherry over poplar or cherry over butternut.

paboxcall

For a higher pitch yelp, I agree with this:

Quote from: coyote1 on May 08, 2016, 11:26:21 PM
I have a cherry over poplar that has a fairly clean sound.

Or this:

Quote from: ferocious calls on May 10, 2016, 07:16:49 AM
The wood selection is often less important than the construction of the call. While some woods lend themselves to more being more raspy, the grain and thickness can determine if the call has clear crisp yelps. I make a Cedar over Cedar that consistently produces clean yelps the way it is made. It can also be built to produce raspy if desired.

Or cedar over butternut. 

Good luck!
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

West Augusta

My favorites are
Cherry over Butternut
Bloodwood over poplar
Purple Heart over Cherry
And Yellow heart over Black Limba
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

greencop01

:camohat:   A combo with a mess of turkeys in it is Mahogany under Bloodwood, another is Butternut under Bloodwood.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Spring Creek Calls

Here's a new wood combination for me, bloodwood over cherry. The all cherry box seems to match up well with bloodwood and jatoba.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com