turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DADs custom box calls,,,experience???

Started by Happy hooker, May 03, 2016, 07:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

Man their gorgeous!!! I saw one in magazine and just went to website and I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried them,,several combinations of wood love to hear any feedback.

nitro

IMHO, there are quite a few other makers who will give you a  better return on your investment.
Royal Slam 2008

boatpaddle

Quote from: nitro on May 03, 2016, 07:56:28 PM
IMHO, there are quite a few other makers who will give you a  better return on your investment.

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Matt k

Quote from: boatpaddle on May 04, 2016, 06:56:36 PM
Quote from: nitro on May 03, 2016, 07:56:28 PM

Happy hooker

:)so have you guys tried the dad's???what wasn't has up to par about them like to hear the difference

english professor

Of course, spending a hundred dollars for a box call might seem overly expensive, or a poor positioning of your probably limited turkey tool finances.

I've got $25 dollar box calls that are killers.  I've got $200 and $300 calls that are great, but no better than the $25 one.  This cost vs. sound or value issue can be debated by men of honor and good will forever.

The question was about Dad's box calls, not theories of cost analysis.

Dad's favourite, cedar and purpleheart, is worth $500 to me.  It sounds great and runs easily.  I called in three gobblers with it last Wednesday.  They came in Indian file, each with the same long beard.  Could have popped any one.  I only hit the call once.  Twenty minutes later, they lined up and came right to me. What price do you put on that?

I bought it used for $80 off this site, and it is a turkey calling machine. Normally sells for a hundred.

Price is not any consideration in my selection of calls.  I choose what I think sounds turkey to me.  As we all are different, with a different ear, my ear likes the Dad's line, especially the cedar and purpleheart.  Additionally, I own every Cody box call, many of which are really pricey.  But, every one of them is true turkey to my ear.  If I hunt a turkey every week or so, I change him up with a different box, usually a high end Cody or Dad's.

I encourage you to listen to the Dad's favourite and to buy it no matter the cost.  It's an heirloom quality woods call that calls in turkeys.

What more could you ask of a call?

Matt k

I had one of dads favorite, mine did not sound good. That was just " my " experience. I'm sure he does make a good call and others people like them, I did not. That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth, which probably ain't much.

nitro

I will expand my comment. The calls I have owned from Jerry did not measure up to my standards for sound ... I use calls from other makers.

It's all personal preference.. If you ask for opinions, don't be disappointed when you get information you don't agree with.

Good luck!!
Royal Slam 2008

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: nitro on May 05, 2016, 08:05:49 AM
I will expand my comment. The calls I have owned from Jerry did not measure up to my standards for sound ... I use calls from other makers.

It's all personal preference.. If you ask for opinions, don't be disappointed when you get information you don't agree with.

Good luck!!
amen and well said. I wouldn't take one of his box calls if someone gave it to me. I don't like to bash anyone , but I will say I had 2 bad experiences dealing with the guy. to top it off his box calls do not sound that great to me. there are several box call makers that make finer sounding calls and are a pleasure to deal with. this is my honest opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Smooth_Operator

I ordered a longbox holster from him two months ago, he said it would be about a week. Still haven't received that holster...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

bigjames50

I've had his Purple Heart/ cedar box for 3 years. It was my first custom box call, and I love it. I have since added a few other custom box calls from other makers, but still have this one in my vest.