turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question

Started by Garrett Trentham, April 03, 2011, 10:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

A friend of mine was showing me some of the "custom" calls he had this past weekend. One in particutlar had a slate type of surface that required no surface prep. I'm pretty sure he said that he had picked it up at the Dixie Deer Classic. It had a really nice sound to it and I was wondering if any of you guys would know what the surface type was.

Thanks,
Garrett
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

TurkeyPotpie

Probably ceramic.

What color was the playing surface?

Garrett Trentham

dark, a lot like slate, but it had a glossier surface.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Cut*N*Run

TurkeyPotpie

I have only seen tan ceramic, but am sure there are other colors too.

Betting that's what it is, but I could be wrong.

What say your friend or does he know?

TauntoHawk

from what I understand anodized and bead blasted surfaces only require cleaning and the occasional scuff and do not need sanding to operate from new..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Garrett Trentham

Cut*N*Run, it wasn't that. It had a surface that looked more "marbled" like ceramic, but it was dark like slate. He said it was a new slate-like surface that the call maker was testing. I kindof thought ceramic, but like TurkeyPotpie said, I have only seen ceramic in light tan variations. The best part was that it didn't have to be conditioned but still sounded great.
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

cleanslate

maybe something called slatex? I haven't seen any of this stuff yet, but from what I heard it is some sort of synthetic material that has a lot of the same properties of slate, but is also waterproof (or water resistant.)

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: TurkeyPotpie on April 03, 2011, 11:17:13 PM
I have only seen tan ceramic, but am sure there are other colors too.

Betting that's what it is, but I could be wrong.

What say your friend or does he know?

Sounds like dark ceramic then? Cool.

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: cleanslate on April 04, 2011, 06:23:13 PM
maybe something called slatex? I haven't seen any of this stuff yet, but from what I heard it is some sort of synthetic material that has a lot of the same properties of slate, but is also waterproof (or water resistant.)

Sounds about right. Anyone have pictures of this "slatex"?
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org