turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Bird of the Season

Started by lohaus, April 03, 2011, 09:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lohaus

This Sunday morning I set up on a field edge on a big oak where I usually see birds.  I heard 4 gobbles about 300 yards away.  They weren't willing to play as they were hened up pretty bad and headed in the opposite direction.  It started to rain so I figured what the heck and tried to close the distance.  It was pretty hard to do with snow on the ground.  I got busted.  As I headed to the van I called my wife to go eat breakfast.  No answer.  I called my buddy and he told me they were on about 20+ birds and 4 strutters.  Him and his boy are new and they tried to run at them or something.

While talking to him I drive by the area where he was and there I see 3 toms at the edge behind a creek bottom where it meets the field.  Just then, two other hunters came driving by.  Not wanting to put them on to this find I waved and drove by.  I must have drove by that spot 5 times debating if I wanted to get out there and go after these birds or call it a day and head home.  By that time the rain had turned to sleet and then snow.

I figured what the heck as I was already wet, my wife was still sleeping, and the kids were at Grandmas.  I devised a plan to cut across the front field and hit the creek bottom.  It is about 8 to 10 feet lower then the next field where the birds were at.  I felt fairly confident that I could close the distance.  As I neared the field edge a flash went off.  I thought to myself, oh crap, I'm near a property line and someone probably got me on a game camera.  Well, that flash was followed by thunder and then 3 gobbles.  This really got my juices flowing and I headed up the creek bank using a big pine tree to hid my body.  I wasn't sure what the birds wanted to do.  I thought maybe I could drop down and try to get closer past some power lines.  While then the thunder really started rolling.  It got those 3 toms rolling and they started really gobbling.  I peaked around the pine and they were walking towards the trees and then started to head my way.  As my set up was quick I wasn't able to trim up any branches.  I had a small window with the sweeping branch of the pine to my left and a small tree to my right.  I raised my gun and waited.  The first tom passed through and I dropped him with the Hevi 13 at about 20 yards.  He was 22lbs, 8 1/2 inch beard, and 1 1/4 spurs.

While other people wanted to stay home and I wanted to get to breakfast I decided to tough it out.  It started with a slight drizzle, to rain, to sleet, to snow, to lightening, to thunder, and finally hail.

I'd like to say I used some fighting purrs, clucks, or sweet music.  It was being in the right place at the right time.  I feel blessed to have enjoyed a successful hunt.  I read this site quite a few times a week.  While I don't have hundreds of posts, I picked up plenty of tips, strategies, setups, and fantastic stories.  I figured I would share mine.

nctrkyhntr

harvester

cannonball

spitndrum

Basser69

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

timbrhuntr

turkey slayer

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on sticking it out in the tough weather and bagging a nice bird!!!! Good job!!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

alloutdoors

Congrats!! You can't kill them if you aren't out there, bad weather or not!  :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.