OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Straight 7s vs straight 6s?

Started by TheSportsman, May 01, 2016, 09:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Let's talk... Which one and why? 3.5 2 1/4oz hevi loads....

Tom Foolery

I've killed with both, straight 7's for me.

Plenty of penetration for way out there and the density through the 20" in case you are off one way or another.

Happy

#6's for me. Not knocking the #7's but I have shot them with #6's and #5's only. They both do all I need. Prefer the 6's though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

decoykrvr

At ethical ranges, and even at ranges which allow for gross misjudgment of range,  I've been amazed at the lethality of the Hevi-13, 12 gauge, 2 oz., 3", 7's.  At least 85% of the longbeards which I have killed, since their introduction, have been harvested w/ this load.  My dedicated turkey gun in 31/2" is a BPS Browning which produces great patterns w/ both the 21/4 oz., Hevi-13, 6's and 7's, but the pattern w/ the Hevi-13, MagBlends, and their knockdown surpasses any load which I have ever evaluated.  The performance of the 3", Hevi-13, 7's, has almost precluded me hunting w/ other loads, and my evaluation of the 31/2" Hevi-13, 7's and MagBlends make them my go to loads in 31/2".  As an aside, I always put a Hevi-13, 7 in the chamber, and two 6's in the magazine.

Longshanks

Hunt with both. Most consistent results I get are with Hevi 13 3/2/6's and Hevi 13 3/2/7's. If I had to choose it would be 7's.  They pattern 270+ out of my guns. 50+ more pellets in a 10" circle @ 40yds with all of my guns. Density as long as there is a decent size pattern at 25yds is my choice every time.

birdhunterdave

#7 for me, plenty of knockdown and I like having the extra pellets.

longislandloco

"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

stinkpickle

I've been shooting #6s, because the #7s aren't available locally.  However, I will hunt with either.

pdaugherty

I've shot both and killed turkeys with both. I'd have to say though that my favorite and best pattern is with the 3in/2oz/7 Hevi-Shot. They hit hard and it's almost impossible for a turkey to get out of that dense pattern.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Longshanks on May 02, 2016, 08:21:46 AM
Hunt with both. Most consistent results I get are with Hevi 13 3/2/6's and Hevi 13 3/2/7's. If I had to choose it would be 7's.  They pattern 270+ out of my guns. 50+ more pellets in a 10" circle @ 40yds with all of my guns. Density as long as there is a decent size pattern at 25yds is my choice every time.
What gun and choke is throwing the 270+ patterns?????

bluetick58

straight 7's 12 gauge heavyweight 7's 20 gauge

Waynesworld23

I prefer sixs but that's what I have always shot and it's what my dad shot and started me on and the htl sixs hit like a hammer.
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

BINK McCARTY

When I first got my SBE2 w/24" bbl. I paired it up with a Rob Roberts Final Strut .650 choke & H-13 /3.5" / 2.25oz. /#7 shot....fired @ 1090 FPS I was pickin these same pellets out of a piece of 5/8" particle board whereas they hadn't penetrated enough but to be stickin' half way out. Now,I've made this point before on other posts' and folks have said I'm wrong,or 5/8" particle board isn't a turkey head & neck....which IS true(it's not head & neck) ,but as for ME PERSONALLY it didn't then, and, as well now STILL doesn't set well with me. That being said,I got devastating patterns out of this same set-up with the Roberts Final Strut .650 choke tube in the form of 336 hits in a 10" circle @ 40 yards. I have never hunted with this set-up so I can't speak as to it's lethality ....but I can speak on behalf of Federal Heavyweight #7s....they hit HARDER @ 60 YARDS than do lead #5s @ 40 YARDS. They blew COMPLETELY THRU this same 5/8" particle board AT 100 YARDS.....and they (goes without saying) knock turkeys off their feet.....LITERALLY. There are 411 pellets in the 3.5" / 1 7/8oz. load of 7s ....I average around 180 in a 10" circle @ 40yds. I never tested #6 shot in this load,and don't foresee myself or anyone testing them either unless they find some stockpiled,because Federal discontinued them from the HW line and currently only produce #7 shot. I would encourage you to try a box of them and see how they do for you!!!! Oh yea,Federal advises not to shoot ANY of their flite control wad loaded shells thru a ported/wad-stripping choke tube. Trulock makes a Heavyweight specific choke tube that seems to be gettin' good results Trulocks # 800-293-9402-George Trulock (owner) very nice fella,eager to help any way he can.
Hopes this helps,any questions please don't hesitate to gimme a shout on here and even thru my e-mail ( binkbenelli@gmail.com)  ifn you need to!!!!! Happy huntin'!!!!!!!!!!!