turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

seeking a recommendations for a copper pot around $60

Started by 81toyota, May 01, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

81toyota

I'm seeking recommendations for a copper pot for around $60, who should I go to?

I was bidding on a couple Lonnie calls and been outbid on all but one, so guys who should I go to for a good copper pot for about $60 bucks

BABS9

hunter22

Easiest one of the day..... Mike Yingling. Look around and see if you can find one of his cast cactus copper calls. They are really special. I have killed public land Mississippi gobblers with them and that is no easy task.

wvmntnhick

When the first three responders say Mike Yingling, what does that tell you?

I'll place a vote for Mike as well. Just had mine out a minute ago and tuned it a bit more. She sounds sweet as can be. I've got two so far. Liked mine so much I got one for my dad. There was one in the classifieds earlier today and it was priced right. If it's still there, might check on it. If not try to get ahold of Mike but beware, the man's a hunter. Might have teouble getting him since their season just opened yesterday. Either way though, Mike is as great guy to work with and if he doesn't have one, I'm sure he'd make you one down the road.

Happy

Yingling is good, so are Daryl Sleighton and Andy Keiser. Have copper pots from all of them and would hunt any of them at any time.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HFultzjr

Drop Mike Yingling a message on here. His calls are great.
Although with PA season just starting last Saturday, he may be out hunting.
Mike's a great guy and I'm sure he will do whatever he can for you.

skimerhorn

I have a lights out copper call by Wendell rye I really like in a osage pot

mgm1955

Quote from: MDTOM84 on May 01, 2016, 04:30:57 PM
Mike Yingling makes the best copper pots, John Sinclair makes a really good copper pot to
Two great choices!!

jordanz7935

Yingling. great guy and great sounding calls.I have a birdseye flamed ash copper that's a talker.They say his cast cactus sounds even better yet.

Jbird22

Mike Yingling is who I'd personally recommend but I'd also recommend Daryl Slaton based off other people's recommendations.

hunter22

Another guy that makes a great copper pot call is Larry Gresser. I have a Pink Ivory and a Cocobolo and I would hunt both of them.

870BkWht

Im going to throw you a wild card here. 

Skip the copper and go with a Brass or a Titanium.  John Sinclair or Mike Yingling both make stellar metal surfaced pot calls.  Copper gets slick pretty easy and its not as uncommon as it used to be.  Not that many people make or probably carry brass or titanium.  Titanium requires way less maintenance and it grips the striker pretty well too. 

Ive had copper surfaced calls from Pappy, Lights Out, Kaiser, Yingling and while they were all great calls,  I personally couldn't deal with the fact that it was a lot of maintenance to keep the surface from getting slick.

Do some research, call some of the callmakers mentioned in this thread.  Have them run some calls for you over the phone.

Good Luck

MattinIdaho

Quote from: hunter22 on May 02, 2016, 07:31:33 PM
Another guy that makes a great copper pot call is Larry Gresser. I have a Pink Ivory and a Cocobolo and I would hunt both of them.

That's easily the best copper pot I own. In fact it's right at the top of the list of any call I own regaurdless of the calling surface.

wvmntnhick

Copper certainly requires some maintenance but I don't see where it requires any more than other metal surfaces save for titanium. The if thing with copper is to make sure you remove all dust from the surface after conditioning. Otherwise, it'll plug up your striker tip and make it appear as though the surface needs touched up. I've got a Sinclair titanium and it needs just as much attention as my Yingling copper. It certainly grips the striker better but you're comparing apples to oranges. Having said that, with two Yingling copper pots (giving one to my dad for his birthday), his aluminum and a crystal, I'm looking to get one of his brass and titanium next. Wanting to get one in a cast cactus pot though so waiting it out until after the season.

mspaci