OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old 3" Activ 2 1/4 oz loads... 20+ years old

Started by foxred1962, April 27, 2016, 10:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxred1962

I have a box of these shells but my thought in reading the box is we have came over 20 years in technology and advancement with powders, buffers, wads, primers, and shot but there isn't anyone on the market with a load so heavy. A heavy 3.5" shell is 2 1/4 now from the factory and 3" are 2 oz...

Wouldn't a manufacturer be able to use the Activ model especially with newer denser shot that takes up less space and make an ultra heavy load. Like federal with a 3" 2 1/4 #7 heavyweight. I understand velocity would not be high but with the advances that have been made it would just seem possible to have that in a 3" shell and a 2 3/8 load in 3.5". I know given a load like that we would see impressive pictures on here. 2 3/8 oz of heavy #6 or 7 would be nasty...

Sealbilly

I loved those old plastic hulled active shells.  I know a guy that has 5 or 6 boxes and he won't come off even one of them.  I shot the 3" 2 1/4 oz #6 load the first year I turkey hunted back in about 96 or 97.  Wish I had a stash of them today.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

howl

Did not Kent buy Activ? They're still in business. Call and ask. I'd like to know too.

foxred1962

Yeah but my point is why haven't any of these shell companies gone with a similar load with the heavy loads. They know most of us do care about price but I spend $15-30 in gas every Saturday to chase gobblers. I don't mind paying for my 5 shells that will last an entire season. All it has to do is win the nwtf shoot and it would sell like crazy like the old win supremes, hevi 13, and now longbeards....

foxred1962

I mean federal has the 20 gauge with 1 1/2 oz of shot @ 1100... So why is the 12 only 1 5/8?

BandedSpur

I know there is a lot of nostalgic love for the Activ "Penetrators". Yes, they held a lot of shot, kicked like mules, and killed a lot of turkeys. But they will not hold a candle to a 1.75 oz Winch LB in the pattern department. All that shot with no buffer = pretty crappy patterns compared to what we have today.

Ihuntoldschool

The reason they haven't gone with heavier loads is because there is nothing to gain.  More shot is not necessarily better; you reach a point of diminishing returns.  As already posted no room for buffer would give poor  (comparatively) patterns with that much shot.

foxred1962

I figured it was a cost vs reward issue... With hevi shot being .60 cents per 1/4 oz for reloaders.

Izzyjoe

The thing with turkey loads is, there has to be shots in the vitals, everything else is just flying by his head! Long beards have change the game, as far as lead loads go.

maytom

That use to be my shell of choice back then 2 1/4 oz of #5's After Kent bought hem out, they discontinued that load?

Sealbilly

The solid plastic hulled cycled flawlessly, the should load the Kent faststeel in those hulls.  I would buy 2 cases of 3" #3s for duck duty.

Sealbilly

Quote from: Sealbilly on April 29, 2016, 04:40:16 PM
The solid plastic hulls cycled flawlessly, the should load the Kent faststeel in those hulls.  I would buy 2 cases of 3" #3s for duck duty.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Sealbilly on April 29, 2016, 04:40:16 PM
The solid plastic hulled cycled flawlessly, the should load the Kent faststeel in those hulls.  I would buy 2 cases of 3" #3s for duck duty.

Funny you say that because activs were the only shells to ever jam consistently in both my 870 20 and 12 gauge!  Lol. Different guns like different shells I guess. (They also never patterned for crap in my guns!)

foxred1962

That is where I am a little bit different I like a few pellets flying by... Gives me room for error... I actually use an 18" circle for patterning that gives me wiggle room and I actually prefer shots in the 30-40 range so that I know I have the entire head and neck taking shot... I just have the actives... Never used them started out with federal 2 oz 4s then the black supreme #4 when they came out and now hevi 13 #5 or 6 or the blend... They all have one thing in common they have all killed turkeys lol...

surehuntsalot

killed a lot of birds with the Activ 3" 2-1/4oz 5'
still have a few boxes of them, they will still kill birds today, birds have not changed in 20 years
it's not the harvest,it's the chase