OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Wood Lid For Mahongany Box?

Started by vt35mag, April 27, 2016, 03:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

I have a Primos box call that is Jatoba over Mahogany, and I just don't like the sound I am getting out of it with the Jatoba lid.  I am going to make my own lid (pre-radiused), and wondering what woods in this list you would recommend I do, or do not try.  Purple Heart would be on the list, but I already have a purple heart over mahogany (love this combo). 

Walnut, Cherry, Curly Maple, Yellow Poplar, Sassafras, Eastern Red Cedar, Padouk, Bloodwood, and Yellowheart.

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

WillowRidgeCalls

What is it about the sound that you don't like?
If the sound of it is to high of a pitch then go with the Bloodwood, if it's to low, then go with the Walnut or Curly Maple (if it's a hard sugar maple).
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

vt35mag

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on April 28, 2016, 10:55:41 PM
What is it about the sound that you don't like?
If the sound of it is to high of a pitch then go with the Bloodwood, if it's to low, then go with the Walnut or Curly Maple (if it's a hard sugar maple).

Its too high pitch and yelps can be squeaky.

I am going to go with Bloodwood, Curly Maple, Walnut, and Yellowheart blanks.  I will let you guys know how it goes.  Hoping to take it in the woods with me next weekend, for a field test.

WillowRidgeCalls

You could also drill a shallow hole near the back end of the paddle and epoxy some lead sinkers in to it. It's only a quick fix, but it's add weight the lid and will help stop the squeakin and lower the tone a bit, until you have more time to make a new paddle for it. It would save you from having to retune the call also.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

vt35mag

I ended up trying several different lid materials, and the walnut gave me the results I was looking for.  The other woods I tried were not bad, but they just sounded too close to what I had on the call already, or didn't play both sides of the box well.  Thank you for the suggestions.

davisd9

Purpleheart, not sure about Jatoba over mahogany but Jatoba is a great box call wood!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jed clampett

Walnut/mahogany....equals bread and butter

vt35mag

Quote from: davisd9 on May 13, 2016, 08:16:45 AM
Purpleheart, not sure about Jatoba over mahogany but Jatoba is a great box call wood!

Sent from the Strut Zone

I have a purpleheart over mahogany call as well, its my go to call. 

I thought I recalled a few years ago Primos customer service telling me that the lid that came with the call was Jatoba, but I am probably mistaken.  I tried a piece of curly maple and it looked and sounded almost identical to the lid that came on the call.