only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your #1 turkey hunting weakness

Started by kdsberman, April 25, 2016, 08:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

It used to be patience but I've slowed down and learned to enjoy the journey
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tha bugman

Work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2dogs1name

Quote from: Spurs on April 25, 2016, 11:33:05 PM
Confidence/over thinking

I loose confidence in my setups and calling too easily.  Sometimes I move to 3-4 different trees before I finally get settled in. 

My calling skills in practice are good, but I often get the jitters when I have a working bird and I sound like a hen that has been smoking cowboy killers her whole life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with Spurs...setting up and resetting up and resetting up...sheesh.

WNCTracker

Txag12

For me, first it's knowing when to stay put and when to make a move. I tend to get antsy after 30-45 minutes, and get the mentality to "go make something happen". Other times I'll have the confidence to sit for 2 hours in one spot sparingly calling to no avail.

Second, I would say losing my know how and questioning myself when they aren't talking but I know they're in the relatively area (within a quarter mile) of my location. Getting a lot better at this though as I encounter it more and more.

cwb04

I have one (well I have many of the ones already mentioned) but the one that drives me crazy, I have not heard anyone else mention. 

I cannot hear a turkey drumming.  It's just a frequency that I cannot hear.  I've had birds at 20 yards and I know good and well they are drumming by their body language.  Can't tell you how many times I've been hunting with friends or family and when the hunt is over I get the ole "man he was drumming his a$$ off".

I FEEL LIKE I AM GETTING CHEATED. 

Makes it really difficult for me to hunt birds that are not vocal.  Particularly afternoon hunts, when I just go into an area where I know there are turkeys and do some soft calling.  I often wonder how many birds I have spooked, that were standing out there drumming and I never knew it.

Tremendous weakness as far as I am concerned.