OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your #1 turkey hunting weakness

Started by kdsberman, April 25, 2016, 08:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

Hey guys just out of curiosity, what do you consider you number one turkey hunting weakness? Something keeping you from being that much better of a turkey hunter.

I'll start it off.  Over the years I've learned an absolute TON about these birds and have really polished my game.  But every year I feel what's keeping me from being "elite" is my mouth calling - specifically purrs and kee kee.    Also transitioning from an aggressive series of cutts to a Yelp and back and forth.  I am well aware that u don't have to be a championship caller to be a good hunter, but I sure would like to step that part of my game up.

How about you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

Mine is trying to limit my movements (I don't use a mouth call so I am constantly trying to call and not get busted when using my pot or box calls).

Happy

To aggressive. I like to get in tight to birds before working them. Working on calling a little less also. Have also learned it's best not to call to a bird until I am trying to kill him.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

Not being as good a student of the flora as I could have been.  Find the preferred flora and you find the birds.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

perrytrails

Patience. I need a lot of work there. I say it over and over. Be patience ...still doesn't work. : )

Strick9

I am my biggest weakness always and once I remember this and relax birds die.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Swampchickin234

Second guessing myself and lack of patience

codym

I cant use a mouth call and never setting up right on a roosted bird, and not striking birds mid day, and getting busted when walking, damn I suck. Maybe this list should be what am I good at..... Hmmm I can pick up heavy stuff and I look good in camo!

Marc

Patience...  I need more of it...

I also work too hard to make things happen instead of just letting them happen sometimes.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

paboxcall

#1 weakness:  Thinking that if they don't gobble they're not there.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spurs

Confidence/over thinking

I loose confidence in my setups and calling too easily.  Sometimes I move to 3-4 different trees before I finally get settled in. 

My calling skills in practice are good, but I often get the jitters when I have a working bird and I sound like a hen that has been smoking cowboy killers her whole life.

This year is going to suck!!!

wmn2

The main thing for me, being new, is my lack of experience. I've gotten a lot of help here over the past few months, but really want to get my first bird to help the confidence level. Not really knowing how to work a bird or have a good setup or approach a roosted bird to setup has me second guessing myself a lot. With time this will get better though.

dejake

turkaholic

Believing my own ears. So many times I'll say to myself or someone I'm with "did you hear that?" I have learned, I think, that if I think I herd a gobble ,I most likely did. Follow it up every time 100%, amazing how many times a little investigating pays off big.
live to hunt hunt to live

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on April 25, 2016, 08:53:48 PM
To aggressive. I like to get in tight to birds before working them. Working on calling a little less also. Have also learned it's best not to call to a bird until I am trying to kill him.

Ditto. I like to hear a bird gobble and often go at him entirely too hard.

Quote from: Spurs on April 25, 2016, 11:33:05 PM

My calling skills in practice are good, but I often get the jitters when I have a working bird and I sound like a hen that has been smoking cowboy killers her whole life.

I'll second this as well. Diaphragms have gotten tons better for me over the years. Probably my most consistent producer when the time is near. Seems that my pot calls and box calling sounds sweet as all get out until my adrenaline gets running hard. Then it all goes out the window. Gotta go back to the mouth call until I get calmed down. Heck, the other day I called in the two for my niece and couldn't have asked for a better calling situation IMHO. Tried to call for myself a few days later and couldn't hardly grasp the striker because of the adrenaline in my system.