OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

struggled with Iowa season 1

Started by 2eagles, April 22, 2016, 01:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Last year I tagged out the first season in 10 minutes. I knew this year would probably be different. It sure was! Worked a gobbler first morning with my new SS Custom scratch box, only to make the mistake of letting a hen lead him away before I realized what was going on. I tried most of my spots most of the 4 day season, but came up empty. Then the last morning the weather was perfect and I had a good feeling. I walked in over a mile on public ground and at sunrise lots of gobbling was going on back where I'd come from. But there was one bird sounding off near where I was so I set up and started calling. Not risking any motion I was using a mouth call. Tommy had crossed a tiny creek and was coming my way, only to veer off out of sight. I saw him come out on the 2track and I got excited again, but he kept going into some heavy cover. Darn. Then he gobbled twice and came back on the 2track, headed my way. My story ends with a boom and a heavy bird to carry back to the truck.

cramerhunts

Nice, I love it when a story ends like that.

SS Calls

1iagobblergetter

Congrats. ..that's what I love about hunting them. Just when you think you have the sport all figured out they humble you real quick. Probably sounds weird but that's what after over 15 years still makes me obsessed with hunting them.

tomstopper

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase