OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bicycle for hunting, sound crazy?

Started by SinGin, April 19, 2016, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksfan

I used a bike about 22 years ago in the Winn Ranger District of the Kisatchie National Forest.  Worked out great....until I rode into a herd of wild pigs and actually bumped one of them with my front tire in the dark while on a scouting trip.

flockbuster

I use one but I took the gun rack off. It makes for some spectacular spills if you catch one end of your gun on a vine in the dark. Now I use the sling and carry my shotgun on my back. It's not as comfortable but it doesn't body slam me either.

CMBOSTC

I don't have any pictures but I camo'd my mountain bike with camo spray paint. It has a gun rack on it and a crate on the back  for decoys or gear. I will warn you that flying down a rocky, wash-out decline in the dark can be very adventurous.

Bill Cooksey

Could certainly be a useful tool in the right situation. One caution I'd throw out; most of us are already pretty bad about taking a step too far when coming up on a field, opening or around a bend on a dirt road or trail. Some of the hunters I've witnessed on bikes blundered through turkeys on a regular basis just because they were moving faster than they should.

quavers59

OH YEAH!!--- Just yesterday, I had picked up my mountain bike afters some repairs. I use it perhaps on 30% of my Spring hunts as I also love to hike.

fallhnt

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fallhnt

The above pic was last fall in MO on public land. Shot two birds with one shot when there heads lined up.

tha bugman

Do it all the time.  I was also referred to as "that d#%n public land Hunter" while hunting some private land they saw my bike rack on my truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SinGin

Well I tried out the bike this morning. A few things I need to do before next time
1 Get a wider seat
2 Get in better shape
3 Loose some weight
4 take a good look at what I really need to take with me
5 Get a wider seat
I think once I get the kinks worked out it will work pretty well
I was able to cut about 30 minutes on my way in and out

ilbucksndux

Quote from: renegade19 on April 19, 2016, 07:01:16 PM
Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 19, 2016, 05:17:05 PM
A few years back we had the state open up an old strip mine for hunting,bike and foot travel only. I have not owned a bike since I was 14 so I borrowed one from a buddy. I get on it and put my feet in these stirrup things and take off. Less than 5 minutes my butt hurts so bad,the seat is like sitting on a anvil ,the pointy end ! I ride a little bit and a bug hits me in the eye and I try to rub them but I need a double hand eye rub for this. I slow down and cant get my feet out of these stirrups BAM ! I hit the ground. By now Im hot,worn out,my butt hurts ,and I just fell on the ground. I had a screaming kicking cussing fit ,hoping no one would see me. I end up ditching the bike and walking ,because it was safer. On the way home I stopped and got a XXXL wide seat and took those !*&^%#%&@ foot straps off. He called later and ask how the bike worked out and I told him the story and his response was,You need to wear bike shorts with the padding in the butt...............I said I dont own any of those and Im ashamed that you do.....and hung up on him !

My buddy used to bike that same area.  How he did it with a Summit Viper on his back is beyond me.

I got good at it. I put a gun rack on the handle bars for my bow and my stand went on my back. I rigged up a hitch for the deer cart and it worked out great.
Gary Bartlow

I hate turkeys

Electric bike with pedals had it for about 9 years now. Before that I used a regular mountain bike with a rack on the back to carry a deerstand. I'm able to cover a bunch of ground in a short time.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

fallhnt

If you hook up a cart to a rack it makes the front of the bike light. This was Thanksgiving day. I also have a scabbard that carries bow or gun. Bow is in a case to keep the mud off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Fallout what brand bike is yours? I used to have a Trek 850 that worked great on flat roads that weren't to muddy,  I am in two new places to hunt this coming year that are four wheeler trails only, might get a bike to try but neither are flat but I don't want to ride a wheeler in there and there are some long walks in!

bobk

Years ago me and my  turkey hunting buddy gave bikes a try. The area that we were hunting was fairly steep but had a nice wide trail that was gated. About 8:30am we decided to move further down the mountain. My buddy took off. When I caught up to him he was laying in a small ditch on the side of the trail. A big yellow phase rattlesnake was laying across the trail as he came around a curve.He bailed out to miss the snake and slid into the ditch. He was all cut up, it took nearly two hours to get him and his busted up bike back to the gate. Never bike hunted again.

PEte_A

This Sir, is Awesome!

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 20, 2016, 05:53:13 PM
My Walmart special. $100 for an aluminum frame, 21 speed, fat tires and shock absorbers. I did the camo job myself with camo duct tape that's held up very well. Then I added on a nice fat, cushy gel seat, and gun racks to the handlebars. I'm probably going to add a basket to it to help haul stuff in and gobblers out. It helps me put the distance between myself and other hunters on FLA WMA's, and let's me get around quietly on my hunting lease. I've used it successfully for years!! :icon_thumright:
Here's some of the pics.