turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bicycle for hunting, sound crazy?

Started by SinGin, April 19, 2016, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinGin

So I got to thinking and some of the conservative areas I hunt have real nice roads big enough for a truck but they wont let you drive down them. I got to thinking wby couldn't I ride my trail bike down and back to save some time and to be able to get way back of the road?
Anyone else tried this before? They even make little bike trailers to haul in your gear.

chadly

A friend of mine used to do it all the time when deer hunting. 

TauntoHawk

they make fat tire bikes with gun and bow holders just for hunters.. It work alot of level places not sure steep hills would be any easier to bike than walk but if I had 2+ miles of mildly level ground and clear tote roads you could get back in a lot faster on a bike thats for sure.

I'll be honest I've jogged to get into spots in time or get out for work when im hunting in deep.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bbcoach

I've done it before.  It definitely saves time and you can get to places most people won't walk too.  Just throw a bike in the back of the truck and unload when you get to your hunting spot and off you go. 

jwright8

Depending on the terrain, I could see them being a big help.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Catman ..who is on this forum rides a bike all the time and he has fix a way to pull a game cart behind his bike .. I've seen video of him hunting WMA and riding his bike killing a deer and ride out with it behind the bike and on the cart..

huntmaster80

I hunt off of a bicycle all the time in spring turkey season! it works out great for me, as I can get way back in where other are not willing to go.  Last year I was hunting in the Allegheny National Forest one day and on my way out of the woods around 11 am, I almost hit a black bear cub while riding  down a long downgrade!   :o :o

Happy

Know of several that used to use bikes. Personally I am a walker. I can move through the woods pretty fast so getting away from people in the morning. Course I slow way down when I get where I am going.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Mike Honcho

I am considering this myself...the problem I see with it in my area is I hunt ag fields and in the spring they can be muddy a lot of the times. 

I do have some that are long walks in...the bike would be a good way to speed things up...especially if I wanted to sneak in a hunt before work.

ilbucksndux

A few years back we had the state open up an old strip mine for hunting,bike and foot travel only. I have not owned a bike since I was 14 so I borrowed one from a buddy. I get on it and put my feet in these stirrup things and take off. Less than 5 minutes my butt hurts so bad,the seat is like sitting on a anvil ,the pointy end ! I ride a little bit and a bug hits me in the eye and I try to rub them but I need a double hand eye rub for this. I slow down and cant get my feet out of these stirrups BAM ! I hit the ground. By now Im hot,worn out,my butt hurts ,and I just fell on the ground. I had a screaming kicking cussing fit ,hoping no one would see me. I end up ditching the bike and walking ,because it was safer. On the way home I stopped and got a XXXL wide seat and took those !*&^%#%&@ foot straps off. He called later and ask how the bike worked out and I told him the story and his response was,You need to wear bike shorts with the padding in the butt...............I said I dont own any of those and Im ashamed that you do.....and hung up on him !
Gary Bartlow

M Sharpe

Several years back, I hunted off one for a couple years. They are super quite, if you keep the chain greased. You can coast along and here a turkey gobble, while you can't always do that walking. I have ridden up mighty close on turkeys that were out in the road and around the bend. They just kinda looked like "what the heck is that" and just slowly ambled off. You can flat out cover some ground on one that's for sure!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Bowguy

It's all good til you get a flat, now we gotta carry tire repair stuff in our vests. I have no qualms walking anywhere. As I get older I just allot more time. God bless the guys that do it

SinGin

If anyone has a picture of their bike setup post it up.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

catman529

Done it deer hunting a few times even hitched the deer cart and hauled a doe out of a gas line back to the camp. Have yet to use it turkey hunting, I like to pack very light when I turkey hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk