turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box Call Recommendations

Started by tha bugman, April 18, 2016, 04:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

What would be your recommendations for a custom box call? 

TauntoHawk

That is a very tough question to answer without knowing a few simple things about what YOU want... Price range? How long are you willing to wait?? And short or long box?

An easy place to start is SS custom calls, they have boxes in 3 or 4 different price ranges have a very quick turn around for custom made and always come sounding just like a turkey. He is also on this site almost daily which makes communication very easy about what you are looking for.

But there are lots of call maker both on this site and on the web that build some tremendous calls, enough that you could get 20-30 different recommendations all worth while call makers and not get a single repeat. 
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

I agree w SS being a great if not the best place to start

hunter22

So many great callmakers to choose from. I have an addiction for turkey calls, especially fine box calls. Here are some that I have recently purchased. I can honestly say these four sound every bit as good as they look. Some waiting times can be two years, others just a few weeks. Top to bottom: SS Purpleheart over Butternut, Chad Griep Walnut over Mahogany, Jackie Lea mineralized Walnut over Mahogany, Mike Lapp Maple over mineral Poplar. A good callmaker can tune the call to the sound you are looking for.

mote1977

Halloran purpleheart/ cedar is a great call.

wvmntnhick

Hooksnhorns

Hey bug, if you want to hear an SS , PM me your # and I'll play it over the phone for ya. It is an outstanding box.
Don't Tread On Me

TauntoHawk

If you have some time Frank Kruer builds a fine box call as well.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

I have a boat paddle SS. Looking for a small box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

With checkering on sides and lid

wvmntnhick

Quote from: tha bugman on April 19, 2016, 09:55:01 AM
I have a boat paddle SS. Looking for a small box

I'll take my SS short box over any other I've had in the past.

mudhen

Albert Paul...

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

HFultzjr

+1 for Mike @ Spring Creek on here.
I have 2 of his calls, a long box and a short box.
Both calls are way better than I am.......LOL

nitro

Royal Slam 2008

REBELYELL

I would start with SS or Albert Paul. Both make great calls and their lead time isn't bad. There was a pile of Albert Paul short boxes on EBay, all listed below current market price. They normally don't depreciate in value.