OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Moss 500 and Hevi 13's

Started by Dwnforce, April 03, 2011, 12:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwnforce

I polished the barrel and picked up a few boxes of Hevi 13 #5 3 inch the other day..and let the Mossberg eat..It was a big jump from the Winchester Sup #5's..Shot count went from 139 at 30yds to like 170...Cant wait to feed her some 6 and 7's this gun ready for any longbeard..

WyoHunter

Wait till you try the Hevi-13 7's - you'll really be impressed!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Dwnforce

I cant wait to get a few boxes and get the paper out!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

goblr77

Hevi 13 pattern density is the reason I switched from Win XR. Not apples to apples but the Hevi 13 2.25 oz 6's doubled the pellet counts of the XR  2oz 5's in one of my guns. The Hevi 2.25 oz 7's give me, on average, 100 more hit's in the 10 @ 40 than the Hevi 2.25oz 6's in both of my main rigs.

Dwnforce

Gonna get me a 3.5 inch after this season Using the money for the gun for another turkey trip to Missoiri..lol

goblr77

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 10, 2011, 10:43:44 PM
Gonna get me a 3.5 inch after this season Using the money for the gun for another turkey trip to Missoiri..lol

I don't blame you.

cannonball

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gobble!

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: Dwnforce on April 03, 2011, 12:01:04 PM
I polished the barrel and picked up a few boxes of Hevi 13 #5 3 inch the other day..and let the Mossberg eat..It was a big jump from the Winchester Sup #5's..Shot count went from 139 at 30yds to like 170...Cant wait to feed her some 6 and 7's this gun ready for any longbeard..

What choke do you use?

Hay Flats

Don't over look that load of 5's for hunting! I have shot birds with Hevi 5's 6's & 7's and the 5's flat crumple birds
my buddie shoots Hevi-13 5's and we have doubled on a number of occasions and there is never any doubt about which bird he shot when I'm not using 5's his can always be identified by large amounts of blood, I know they are not the rage right now but those 5's are serious Turkey killers, and if you hunt in an area with large predators lurking around you will be better off having the extra thump.

Kurt

knotheadedfool

Quote from: Hay Flats on April 13, 2011, 03:13:11 PM
Don't over look that load of 5's for hunting! I have shot birds with Hevi 5's 6's & 7's and the 5's flat crumple birds
my buddie shoots Hevi-13 5's and we have doubled on a number of occasions and there is never any doubt about which bird he shot when I'm not using 5's his can always be identified by large amounts of blood, I know they are not the rage right now but those 5's are serious Turkey killers, and if you hunt in an area with large predators lurking around you will be better off having the extra thump.

Kurt

I personally don't like the 5's and I will tell you why.  They don't have the pattern density at range that the smaller shot do, and we all know those smaller shot will kill them dead dead dead.  I thought the hevi 5's were the thing a few years ago and put a bad shot on a bird (basically centered him) at 12 steps and lost that  bird.  If there is no advantage in a bad close range shot (which happens, I don't care who you are), then I don't see an advantage in the larger shot at all anymore. And I used to be a HUGE advocate for the larger shot.