Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Struggling in New Mexico (Lincoln National Forest)

Started by JMalin, April 18, 2016, 12:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Arrived late Friday night.  Heard maybe 2-3 gobbles all day Saturday.  Wind laid down and heard a bunch on the roost Sunday morning, but they got quiet an hour after fly down (maybe due to the clouds moving back in?).  Got two birds roosted this evening that I'm going to try to set up on tomorrow morning.  Anyone else have anything better to report?  Did the cooler weather set them back?  It's tough hunting when they aren't talking.  And the birds I am hearing are in the canyons and not very high up.  I'm hunting unit 36 because I'm staying at a friend's cabin in Ruidoso. 

gbfan

Did you end up having any luck?  Was thinking of heading down to either the Lincoln or Gila next weekend, still undecided though.

Turkeyman11

Sorry for the late reply, but we were in the Gila and killed a couple on opening day and then had a couple of really slow days while the weather was bad.  It was hard to tell if there were even any birds around on Saturday and Sunday.  Monday and Tuesday were a completely different story...four birds in two mornings....tagged out!  Love that place.

JMalin

Never did get a bird my first trip up there, but will be heading back for the final weekend with the help of a local guide.  It'll probably be windy, so tough hunting conditions, but I'm hoping between what I learned from my first trip and having some help, I'll be able to get a bird or two.