OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

fed heavy 6 shot

Started by philipriley16, April 14, 2016, 08:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philipriley16

What's your all's take on the federal heavy 3 inch 6 shot out of a Remington 870 youth 21 barrel with a ssx .550. I can get them for 18 a box but I don't know if they will be worth it

R AJ

Nothing at all wrong with them, great buy especially if you take advantage of the rebate offer .

albrubacker

They are a solid 40 yrd shell out of my 21" 11-87
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

sswv

headed to the bench with that exact set-up tomorrow.  I'll let you know my results.

turkeykiller41

Mine does good with the rsf lead only.

jordanz7935

Fed HW#6s are bad medicine. Really too much power for turkey IMO.I've watched geese fold @ 40 + yds with HW6s. 7s are the gamechanger for 20 ga, 335 pellets in the #7 hw 3" 20 ga. The # 6 HW load has like 230 which is about the same count as a lead 3" 20 ga #5 turkey load. IME, they pattern best out of more open .570-.580 chokes. I got mid 110's out of my 870 youth 20 ga with #6 HW with the rsf choke. They didnt break 85 with my sumtoy .562.I just shot one #6 hw through my h&r topper youth 20 ga full choke, last weekend and got 92 in the 10" and that was 38 degrees.They will hammer a gobbler but I wouldn't mess with the #6s as they aren't being made anymore. I'd go right to the #7HW and go kill birds.Good luck

philipriley16

Well I bought 3 boxes of then he gave them to me for 15 a piece. I also picked up the gun and a undertaker choke as well. Got 2 boxes of magblends to try so I've got a busy morning ahead patterning it

R AJ

Try the undertaker and if patterns are not satisfactory do not blame the shells first. we would love to know what results you get.

philipriley16

I will. I'll say this after I got home and took the 870 apart for cleaning I can tell you Remington quality has went down the drain. I'm gonna shoot the undertaker and the ssx in it first I think it will do good?

jordanz7935

Well for that price I would have bought them too. Don't forget about the $10 rebate on the heavyweights. I actually got my  3 boxes of 6s for a deal like that a few years ago. I shot 1 gobbler and gave my buddy 1 #6 hw for his h&r 20 and he about took ones head off @ 20 yds with it. Wasn't pretty. Good luck and Let us know how it patterns.

sswv

Bass Pro has plenty of these for just under $12.00 a box plus shipping and, their shipping isn't all that bad. I just ordered 2 more boxes.

I went and shot this evening.  I just brushed the barrel then ran a dry swab thru it.  No intense cleaning.  The SSX .550 at 40yds from my 870 youth 21" barrel with the #6"s would average 88 in the 10" circle.  The RSF .572 would average 100.

I also tried the Federal HW #7's and with the SSX it averaged 148 in the 10" at 40yds and the RSF averaged 144. There was a breeze and I tried to shoot at the calmest times. I feel a GOOD barrel cleaning will give better results. I'm gonna stick with the non-ported chokes and try to find another non-ported .560  too  .565

savduck

I didn't shoot the 6s out of my ssx but out of a tempest pure gold 570 I shoot 120 patterns with them. That's a wrecking ball.

PM me what bass pro has them please. I'd like to pick some up
Georgia Boy

sswv

hey savduck.  I just called the customer service number from their website.