Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

LEARNED THE HARD WAY HOW SERIOUS PEOPLE TAKE HUNTING!!!!!!

Started by sulpher turk, April 11, 2016, 07:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sulpher turk

Somebody baited our PRIVATE PROPERTY! Thankfully we found it and moved our setup 791+ yards away. Opening day our wildlife resource agency were waiting.Had been tipped off.Thankfully the officres gave us some tips on how to catch them. People coming on the property. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Happy

First off I would say if they are baiting then they aren't seriously hunting. They are lazy, pure and simple . That's also why they are trespassing. Haven't personally had it happen but it doesn't suprised me a bit. Even tv hunting condones it now days. It's only going to get worse I fear.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

As my dad would say "there's nothing like hunting season to bring out the worst in some people". Each year it seems I see more of the "I've gotta kill" mentality and less of the "I'm going to enjoy myself" mentality. Sad fact is that hunting is becoming a competitive sport and some people will use what ever legal or illegal means necessary to "win". It's really just plain sad.

Greg Massey

The farm next to my place baits year round we have called and told the wild life officers about this and they do nothing about it... we killed deer to find them full of fresh corn same with the turkeys.  So what do you do?  This day and time people will shoot you..We just hunt our place and do the best we can...but I agree people who do this during hunting season are not hunters.. now this is just were it's not legal ... I know some States it is legal..

snapper1982

Quote from: Happy on April 11, 2016, 07:34:44 PM
First off I would say if they are baiting then they aren't seriously hunting. They are lazy, pure and simple . That's also why they are trespassing. Haven't personally had it happen but it doesn't suprised me a bit. Even tv hunting condones it now days. It's only going to get worse I fear.

You completely missed the whole point! They wasnt hunting the OPs property they put bait out by the OPs hunting spot and called the wardens to get the OP busted for baiting.

OP it may not have been a hunter who did it. It very well could be an anti.

Happy

SteelerFan

With bait spread, and game wardens called and "tipped", that is not random (or taking hunting seriously). Those responsible know you hunt it, and have some sort of beef... neighboring property hunters, former "guests", maybe even family fall-out - just my opinion.

Glad you were able to convey your innocence.

Happy

I would bet it would be neighboring property owners. At least if you live in a rural area. Everyone is trying to keep game on their property and off of everyone elses these days. If it's anti hunters then I would think they won't stop there. I would be watching all access points like a hawk.  Good luck catching them.

X-Tennessean

Dealt with a similar situation. I lease property out of state down the road from my father.
Leased a piece of property from a doctor who just purchased it for a tax right off, walked the property and found stand after stand along with corn pile after corn pile!! Neighbors had been hunting it knowing they had no one to contend with as the owner never visited the property and to this day has never stepped foot on it!!
I actually met them the day I was putting signs up as they just walked onto it as if they owned it, told them I had it leased and they replied with a "Yep, we are getting our camera's" and kept walking.

After leaving I contacted the GW and made him aware of the situation afraid that I would be "setup" as the OP. He was very understanding and had me clean up what was there (2 days before season opened) and wanted me to call if I showed up one morning and found corn after day break.
Since then it has been a pain, signs torn down that night, dealt with 13 lbs of nails, screws scattered at the entrance and ditch crossing and even at another property on the other side of the county that I have had leased for 15 years!! I had a witness and got the sheriff involved who did nothing in the end. Todays enforcement system is a joke when it comes to trespass and game violations.

Old Gobbler

Some years back , I was checking out a lease that my cousin was on , got invited over for a winter hog hunt and while I was at it I was checking out to see how many turkeys were on - the lease holder aka president at one part of the day stated he was tired of the people on the neighboring lease setting up on his property line and calling up "his " turkeys

Well long and short of it , he admitted to trespassing on the neighbors lease spreading a bunch of corn and then calling the wardens ......the wardens gave out a bunch of citations .....to some rather well known folks on the nwtf , I thought the whole thing was stinking to high hell , made a few calls and informed some folks on the depravity that was going on , it's what I call "corn wars" when I hear of this bs

I think the situation I was informed of was in reality very similar to yours .....there messing with you
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

sulpher turk

Yeah we have a 150 acre farm and the people that hunt the back side of our ridge have to be the ones that did it. A private road that our family live on is the only other way to it. Actually the game warden was realy good friends with my grandfather. Ask him if he would mind if he introduced the turkeys on the property about 25 years ago.

tomstopper

Have never had any experience with this but could see the dirt bags that I wrote about on MK M GOBL's post about ethics doing this on the land where I hunt. I just don't know what is wrong with people in this world  :(

Gooserbat

I love the fact that corn is LEAGAL within its limits in Oklahoma.  Saves this kind of mess.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey buster

A game warden here in Louisiana whom just recently retired put us in a weird situation several years ago. First he's a pure butt head, but to the story....
Our 4000+ acre lease borders his smaller tract he hunted. His smaller tract was loaded with turkeys and ours only has them in the corner next to him. He would go and bait his land next to our line. This caused two problems. The first being here you can't hunt within 200 yards of a baited area so that effectively kept us from hunting close to him. But problem two and the biggest is that corner of our lease joined a third piece of land that had a agreement with the owner there would be no hunting within 100 yards of the line on the other side of our land. Well this upper corner full of turkeys is now off limits to hunt. An area maybe 300-400 yards wide and roughly the same long can't be leaglly hunted and the game warden caused it. He still does it today, and though retired he was a lieutenant when he left with plenty of contacts with the new game wardens.

deadbuck

Sulphur Turk, you need to press the wardens to find out who tipped them off. Are they hiding behind an "anonymous caller" tipped them off. Sounds fishy to me. I would be calling the justice court judge in my area and giving him a heads up about this situation in case it escalates.