OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Gun Scope Question

Started by Fan Club, April 17, 2016, 11:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan Club

Gents-
This will be my first year hunting with a scope after 20+ years with open fiber optics. My 60 year old eyes can't focus on the old sights. I've mounted a Leupold NWTF VX-1 2x7 33m on my Win 1300 with a weaver rail and Leupold medium rings. After sighting in the gun yesterday, as you can see in the pic, the center of pattern is still 2" low at 25 yds with the UP reticle adjustment completely screwed out in that direction. While this is adequate to hunt with (my season opens tomorrow) I'm thinking through my long term options. The best I can come up with is a shim of some sort under the front end of the rail or on the front scope ring to provide some elevation. I'm sure there are some experts in the house. Thanks!

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

Mike Honcho

I have shimmed several bases and or rings over the years...you can buy sheet brass at a hardware store but I usually cut multiple pieces of a pop can or cereal malt beverage can and stack them to get thickness I want...trial and error method. Scissors work great to cut.

Fan Club

Thanks. A shim is what I was leaning toward, just wasn't sure of the material. I was thinking of nylon or tortex (from a guitar pick) but a denser material with minimal give makes more sense.

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

VAarrowslinger

have you got a set of low height rings to try?

grayfox

Also I think Burris used to make scope rings with shims to correct this.

MK M GOBL

Brownell's has shims out for this, depending on where you bought the scope they should be able to provide you with those.

MK M GOBL

Fan Club

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on April 17, 2016, 05:26:34 PM

I wondered about that. When I was researching the scope and rings and reading reviews, several people remarked that if you used low rings with this scope that the vented rib of your gun would be visible in the sight picture. A set of low rings is only about 25.00 bucks so maybe after the season I'll try that. I currently have about 1/4 inch of clearance between the front scope bell and the rib.

VAarrowslinger

Quote from: Fan Club on April 17, 2016, 08:31:08 PM
Quote from: VAarrowslinger on April 17, 2016, 05:26:34 PM

I wondered about that. When I was researching the scope and rings and reading reviews, several people remarked that if you used low rings with this scope that the vented rib of your gun would be visible in the sight picture. A set of low rings is only about 25.00 bucks so maybe after the season I'll try that. I currently have about 1/4 inch of clearance between the front scope bell and the rib.

I've used that exact scope on an 870 and if I remember correctly I used a set of burris low rings. may be worth a try.

Fan Club

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on April 17, 2016, 08:52:20 PM
I've used that exact scope on an 870 and if I remember correctly I used a set of burris low rings. may be worth a try.

That's what I'll do after the season to see if it works. I'd prefer the low rings anyway to have more of my cheek on the stock like open sights. Then I'll work with shims on the medium rings if I have to. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions guys!

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

Horrendo Revolver

It is counter intuitive but if there isn't enough elevation you shim the rear of the base, not the front.  I mount scopes at work and have a sideline business mounting scopes and have done this numerous times.

I prefer to shim bases instead of rings.  Beer cans make better shims than soda cans if you decide to DIY, but since you have a Leupold scope, they will send you shims at no charge.

I've been hunting for over 45 years but am new to turkey hunting.  I have a question on whether to use a scope or reflex sight on my shotgun so please look for a thread I'm fixing to post.  Don't want to hijack this thread.
Assistant Secretary - U.S. Dry Bean Council

Dtrkyman

I have used pieces cut from empty shotshells!