turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Working birds in the cold

Started by MouthCaller, April 09, 2016, 05:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

I heard 3 this morning in 22 degree windchill. Worked one and had him at 50 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

They will do their thing! killed one last week and one today and it was 19 degrees out.

MK M GOBL

buckwheeeat

33 degrees yesterday morning here in middle tn and they were moving! Get out there...you know how the old couch saying goes....

Dtrkyman

Clear frosty mornings typically have the birds more vocal than any other time in Northern and Central Il, may differ the further south you go, I have killed many birds on cold mornings, they love to get on eastern facing slopes in steep terrain or a sunny field edge to warm up! 

Killed a bird on the opener a couple years back, it was 17 degrees and had snowed over night, the birds were hammering, had 6 toms on one ridge, finally got into an argument with an old hen and she brought em all to my set up!

MouthCaller

29 degrees this morning and being from Mississippi this is definitely the coldest weather I've tried hunting turkeys in. Had one on the limb this morning that gobbled decent but I wouldn't call him hot. He even gobbled every 10 minutes or so on the ground until about 830 but I couldn't get around him. I guess I just had it in my mind the cold weather would turn them off but I'd call it a decent early season morning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

kyturkeyhunter4

Can't kill them on the couch, Get on out there and hunt.