turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Working birds in the cold

Started by MouthCaller, April 09, 2016, 05:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

I'm laying in bed trying to decide to go to sleep since I got off work at 1am or go try the feels like temp outside of 32 degrees and hunt this morning... call me a fair weathered hunter if you want but I just don't think I want to see if anything is stirring with the temps outside like they are because 1 it's cold and I don't want to be cold and 2 I don't think they will be gobbling. Now having said that the other side of me wants to go find out if anything wants to play the game today but I can't make my mind up... has anybody had any successful trips in the spring season in the cold where the turkeys were really active?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

lmbhngr

You better go. Where I am there's snow on the ground and they're gobbling every day where I work.

Spitten and drummen

Gobblers are still wanting to breed. I go every opportunity I get. Turkey season is short as it is and a year between seasons is a long time. I wait all year for this precious short time. I am from Ms and have seen cold weather in early spring. Usually if it's not windy I hear some pretty good gobbling. They may be gobbling on those windy cold days also , you just can't hear as well. Remember it only takes one bird playing the game and there is a lot of birds out there. Me , I would go but ultimately the decision is yours. It's about having fun and it's not mandatory to force yourself on this matter. We already have plenty of things that we are forced to do in life and this ain't one. On a final note I have rolled over and went back to sleep on some mornings and kicked myself a few hours later for not going. Good luck on what you decide.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

I'd get out there. If cold weather stopped the WV and PA boys, we'd never kill a bird. Been many times I've gone out and hunted in the snow or at least had it start snowing while I was out. Get after them man.

HFultzjr

Plus.......you will have a lot less competition (hunters).
Cold, wind, rain, late season, late in the day.
Love them all for that reason.

Ishi

Personally l would rather hunt turkeys when it colder outside. When it's warmer I think of all the other things I should be doing at home  :anim_25:
The Spirit Lives On

Happy

Hunt. Season only lasts so long it it will be a whole year till you can do it again.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

OldSchool

I'm late, but I'll post for future reference lol. I agree with everything said so far. I think the weather affects hunters a lot more than it does turkeys, within reason. It's more fun to hunt in nice weather, but the birds are out in it every day, good or bad. I've seen a lot of times on bluebird days when the turkeys didn't make a peep and I've watched them strut and gobble in 10" of snow and wind.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

TauntoHawk

I've killed a bird on a 26 degree morning and the were ripping that day... The bad part is a I had to cross a creek that was higher than expected and had to take my boots and socks off to keep them dry and broke through the ice barefoot... That might not have been fun but was memorable and hurt less with a nice bird over the shoulder

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MouthCaller

I ended up going and while I didn't hear a single turkey and had a pretty steady 10-15 hour NW wind right in my face it actually wasn't a total loss. I found a place with fresh scratches and found another that I want to try hunting tomorrow morning. When I left I drove back around a back road to get to the other side of the property and saw a hen probably 600 yards from where I had been and even better than that is I drove past a field that I can hunt that had birds in it! I decided not to stop to spook them or try to get around them instead I'll just go there in the morning and set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

TRG3

It was 35 degrees when I stepped out the door at 4:45 Tuesday morning. After only a couple of hours of sleep, I initially slipped back in bed but knowing that the first turkey season in Illinois only extended through five days and that I couldn't take a turkey from the comfort of my bed, I forced myself to get back up and go hunting. At 6:30 a.m., I took a nice gobbler and probably heard another 5-6 toms plus several hens. Had I not taken a bird that morning, I'm sure that I'd have taken a nap in my ground lounger like I did a few years back only to be awakened by a gobbler beating up on my Pretty Boy some 25 yards away. Even though groggy, I did managed to take him.

Greg Massey

I was out this morning in West Tenn and it was cold. I didn't hear any gobbling but did have 4 different jakes come into my setup. I will be back at it in the morning. Good luck everyone..

coyote1

It was 31 deg and snowing here this morning. I saw 3 gobblers strutting in the field across the street from my shop.

fallhnt

You won't kill a bird if you don't go. Spring season is short,go hunt.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Smooth_Operator

I would rather hunt a cold morning in the spring, some of my best mornings have been cold as hell in the morning.  Have had many a morning where it was cold and the birds were fired up. You should go...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."