turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Letting one go

Started by Strick9, April 07, 2016, 09:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

awesome story. my hats off to you. you will be rewarded by that action I am sure. it has gotten easier on me to let a few birds walk that I could have killed. I still pull the trigger but sometimes I don't. it all about you and that decision is personal. you played the game and beat him on his terms. that is a successful hunt imo. its a numbers game to a lot of people and to others its just having a memory such as this. great respect for you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

davisd9

What is your opinion of the said bird now that you "let him go"?

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Marc

A tom comes in range, and he will get the hammer from me...  But, I do not have the opportunity at many birds in a season...

Twice while waterfowl hunting as a kid we passed on large flocks of birds.  Both times we had flocks land just out of range, and watched...  Those small flocks attracted more birds, and in short order we were covered up with snow geese.  On one of the events, we were in the midst of a "white tornado" of geese, with geese funneling in, in huge flocks, with some birds mere feet from us.

I would guess that being an observer in the middle of that spectacle was more memorable than killing the 4 or 5 geese that we would have killed by shooting at them.  Both times someone else ended up scaring the birds up eventually and we continued hunting.

My father and grandfather both told me, "as soon as you stop feeling at least a little bad about killing these birds at least once in a while, it is time to stop hunting."

That ol' tom gets to plant his seed at least one more time, and hopefully provide you or your family with the opportunity to hunt another bird...  Kudos...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Tennessee Lead

Hats off to you Sir.
I had a similar hunt last season. Though I had no previous encounters with him. He hung up at 40 yards and put on such a show that I elected not to kill him. Part of my decision was based on my camera not running and he influenced the rest. It was cold and I also could see his breath every gobble. I enjoyed him very much.

turkey buster

Quote from: Happy on April 07, 2016, 11:06:43 AM
I get that. Totally respect it also. Sometimes it's enough to know you won. Even if he doesn't.

So true. Maybe in years to come I can do that myself. For now  :z-guntootsmiley:

owlhoot

Quote from: OldSchool on April 07, 2016, 10:14:53 AM
Congrats on a great hunt!! Success doesn't necessarily have to be measured by birds killed. You won the game and he's alive to gobble another day. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Bob
Very well said  :icon_thumright:

chatterbox

I give you a lot of credit.
In your shoes, I don't believe I could've done the same thing, but my hat is off to you! :icon_thumright:

Farmboy27

Wow. Can't say I would have done the same. Not really sure what I think of it.  I can say that I hunt because I love being out there and seeing and hearing the birds and for the experience and killing a bird doesn't matter. But in the end if that was the case I wouldn't have to carry a gun!  I don't know whether to congratulate you or call you crazy! Lol!  But in any case it must have been a heck of a hunt! 

Cut N Run

I commend your actions, but I would have difficulty passing up an old bird myself.  I regularly allow the jakes and obvious 2 year old birds to walk because I hunt the same woods each year.  My grandfather always taught me to leave the young birds and the egg layers alone, or your stealing from your future.  I hope the rest of your season is as productive if you pull the trigger or not.  Good luck & have fun.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

greencop01

Kinda like catch and release, like noddin your head at a friend....... 

like what Gene Nunnery would do......    :icon_thumright:

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

g8rvet

I catch and release a ton of legal trout and redfish.  Makes my brother mad at me.

I have not had many mature Toms that I have "released".  I would say all were make able, but marginal shots and I just chose to let them walk.  Had 2 jakes gobbling and strutting at 5 yards from me.  That was one of my favorite hunts and no bird came home. 

If it was just about the meat, Publix is cheaper.  We all make our own rules outside of the law about how we want to harvest.  Good job. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

KyLongbeardhunter

you are a true hunter, you enjoy hunting, not necessary just the killing. I tip my hat to you for expertise. I wish we had more hunters as yourself, I am a turkey hunter, and I take turkeys, however some of my more enjoyable hunts, I let them walk.  thank you for sharing your hunt,i  understand