turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great lesser known call makers?

Started by MattinIdaho, April 02, 2016, 07:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattinIdaho

Love to see a list of some guys that are not well known, maybe make only a handful of calls a year but are known to make some great calls.

hunter22

Don Clark, Noel Gonzales, LT Pack, Chad Griep, and Jerry Zebro are some boxcall makers that come to mind.

OldSwamper

Eddie Wynne of Hertford, NC.  I have a 2-sider crystal/slate that i would keep over any other call i have, and my pile includes some top name calls.  To be fair and clear, this call has sentimental value, as my dad bought it at silent auction at local turkey banquet and gave it to me, but it has been responsible for more turkeys than any other call for me.  It is a killer.

wvmntnhick

Richard McKinnis makes a nice slate. It's called a long slate. They sell under tylersburg yelpers. Can be found on eBay but rarely hear the name pop up anywhere else. The long slate is great. Pocket slate is good too but the long is real good. Love mine but it doesn't fit the vest pocket well and I'm not a huge slate guy. Have fallen big time for the crystal and various metals. Not sure that Yingling gets all the praise he deserves either. Guys talk about how nice his calls look but not much about how well they sound. of the 5 pot calls in my vest, 3 are his. If someone told me I could only carry 2, at least one would be his and if I could only carry one, he's still probably going to be in there. Hard part would be deciding which one.

Another good one is Jeff Jones. He goes by lumberjack and makes calls under the Tucker Ridge name. I've got 3 of his tubes (well, 2 because I gave one to a guy that lets me hunt and trap his land after he fell in love with the sound) and a trumpet. Here's a good example of a guy that doesn't get the recognition deserved. Has a great trumpet for sale in the classifieds now for an exceptionally reasonable price.

scoot12

For pot calls Adam Prouty makes some awesome pots.  Box calls you can't beat a $40 box from Jerry Zebro,  I think he took a break from callmaking because the amount of orders was a little overwelming.   

goblr77

Craig Scott in Georgia. I don't know if he's still making calls though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

I'll cast a 2nd vote for Mike Yingling on here.
I love the one he made for me....pure turkey in it.
Not many people have heard of him, except for members on here.

West Augusta

One of my favorite long boxes was made by my friend Tim Scott Gbllr-killer
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

boatpaddle

Chad Zutter from MN...

Makes a fine paddle call.. :icon_thumright:.
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Trumpetyelper

This guy is well known in my book, but he tends to fly a little under the radar intentionally.  Roger Parks.

callmakerman

Gary Bunofsky ( nebo ) on here. He makes some fine wing bones, cane yelpers and box calls. Austy Bott. I know he gets a mention here and there but not near enough considering the fine yelpers that he makes.

letinmfly

Chad Griep and Tommy "Slick" Gilmer for boxes.

Adam Prouty makes a heck of a potcall.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

mgm1955

Quote from: callmakerman on April 03, 2016, 10:05:26 AM
Gary Bunofsky ( nebo ) on here. He makes some fine wing bones, cane yelpers and box calls. Austy Bott. I know he gets a mention here and there but not near enough considering the fine yelpers that he makes.
Couldn't agree more. Both make fantastic calls!!

hunter22

Tim Oldham, Jr makes one of the finest pot calls out there but does not make many each year. I have a "field" grade coming I cannot wait to get.

WNCTracker

A guy called peanut Schumann from central PA. I still have 3 of his slates over 25 yrs old. Bought them at my local barber shop where you could get a haircut and try out turkey calls while you waited listening to am radio ball games. What a great time.