turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nova

Started by Bowguy, April 01, 2016, 07:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

I'm thinking of building a 20 next year for kids/newbies. I have lots of guns but not handing someone frail a cannon.
I hate the trying to get someone to show up n pattern a gun only to find they gotta spend more money on sights, dif loads etc. be easier to just have a gun ready.,
Being I've never personally used a 20 I guess Id like to consider some ideas.
My youngest daughters gun is set up w fed heavy 7s in 20 a load I love but that gun is an old youth gun n she's stuck w mod choke which shoots great but may be a fluke. Older daughter is shooting a jelly head w fed 6s.
Their guns are set but if I need to take a nephew/neighbor or something what do you all recommend on that gun?

Greg Massey

I would build a youth Rem. 870 with the 21 in. barrel. You will get this gun with a shorter stock and with that stock and buying a ShurShot stock you can change the stock out from a youth or for yourself to hunt with...i would look at having it drill or a saddle mount put on the gun. The saddle mount you can put on the gun yourself. For the youth 870 it take a different saddle mount than the old Rem. 870  20ga. That way you can either mount a Bushnell Red dot TRS 25 that's a great Red Dot for the money you can find these for around 75.00 new or if you want a scope look at the Simmons Pro Diamond low power turkey scope..it's a great scope for less than 100.00... Look at getting you a good choke like a Trulock 565 or a Somtoy choke ..these chokes will get you the best out of that 870 ..

Bowguy

Good advice but I have my daughters 2 youth guns already set up, one is a rem 11-87, I wouldn't be taking anyone else if my kids were around. I have the nova just taking up space wanna make it useful. The LOP is a little longer than the youth models I already have. Guess Im looking for a mid size gun for newer folks that aren't exactly in the full bore youth status n ones too small for a bigger gun

Greg Massey

From your two post it's really hard to figure out what you are really looking for.. If you wanted to build a Nova or whatever why didn't you say so... if you want adjustable stock why not just get you a tactical stock and a box of turkey loads and a cheap choke tube and you are ready to go hunting...lol

Bowguy

Greg I'm mainly wondering what chokes guys are digging in the nova, and what load they prefer with the choke. No need to change stock and I have no intention to do so.

Greg Massey

Good luck most people don't care for that gun.. it doesn't shot good and you never read much about these with any choke.. You just don't see people hunting turkeys with them..

Bowguy

Hmmm well maybe I'll have to buy the 870. Thanks bud, gun has sat in my safe for years. I'll try it n see what happens though

tree-rat sniper

I have a Carlsons .575 & a Jebs HH.565 that I switch between my 20 ga Nova compact & Franchi Affinity (also run a few others, Black cloud long range, Kicks & the factory chokes). While they're not the most popular turkey guns and not as cheap as the 870, they're very popular with the waterfowl crowd due to they're reliability and weather resistance.  The receivers can't rust & the chrome lined bores don't rust & digest almost anything. Unlike 870's I have yet to find a shell that won't chamber without extensive polishing.  I've had more than one customer complain of new 870 express' rusting right in the gun-safe with golden rods in use...I used to be a fan of big green but their QC has really gone down the tubes in the last 10-12 years.  I recently bought a Supernova 3.5" for geese to replace my 870 12.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

albrubacker

There plenty of Benelli 20 ga turkey guns out there. Just do a search here on the forum a list of threads will come up.
Carlson, Sumtoy, Tightwad are a few that come to mind.
I have a 12ga. Nova that shoots well with Trulock choke. 
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

albrubacker

Quote from: tree-rat sniper on April 10, 2016, 12:33:25 PM
I have a Carlsons .575 & a Jebs HH.565 that I switch between my 20 ga Nova compact & Franchi Affinity (also run a few others, Black cloud long range, Kicks & the factory chokes). While they're not the most popular turkey guns and not as cheap as the 870, they're very popular with the waterfowl crowd due to they're reliability and weather resistance.  The receivers can't rust & the chrome lined bores don't rust & digest almost anything. Unlike 870's I have yet to find a shell that won't chamber without extensive polishing.  I've had more than one customer complain of new 870 express' rusting right in the gun-safe with golden rods in use...I used to be a fan of big green but their QC has really gone down the tubes in the last 10-12 years.  I recently bought a Supernova 3.5" for geese to replace my 870 12.
X2 well said!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

cphill

My wife been shooting a Nova 20 for years and I shoot a 870 20 and the Nova is a better gun to me all the way around... But it did cost a lot more

perrytrails

Ic 555 with Heavy shot brand duplex loads. Really nice pattern.

Also carlsons 575 with Federal heavyweight 7's

The stocks on benelli shotguns are just too long for most.
Standard lop is 14. I believe they are 14 1/4 made for lurch type over 6 footers. Joking...

Another way to make a buck on reduced length recoil pads. Although I'm not sure there is one for nova?

Anyway you can't remove the rear stock from a nova for a collapsable one. 
It's fixed.

You could have your daughters gun threaded for chokes. It's not that expensive.

Mike Olin or William Sumtoy can hook you up. And drill and tap for optics if needed.

Or go this route, fits big or small. Left or right handed, limbsaver recoil pad. 5 lbs. Recoil is minimal.