turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Acrylic tipped striker?

Started by Bseckinger, March 30, 2016, 08:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bseckinger

I want to make some strikers tipped with Corian, but not sure about the best way to attach it.  I was hoping to attach a small 1-2" section to a striker blank before turning.  Suggestions?
Thanks

pappy

This is what I do...I turn my blanks to 3/4" put in my chuck on the lathe put my drill chuck in the tail stock, drill out an 1/8" hole half the length I want my tip to be...then I turn my tip down to 3/8" or so and put it in my collet chuck do the same with it on the lathe....every thing is centered then I use an 1/8" bamboo skew as a dowel cut to length and glue away...then after all is dry I head to the lathe and chuck up the 3/4" end and put a live center in the tail stock and turn her down, about fifteen minute work...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Bseckinger

That's sorta what I thought, but was hoping for something easier.
Thanks

Longbeardfever4ever

I used to drill center holes in each separate piece, then dowel together with thin carbon, glue up and turn after it sets.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

lightsoutcalls

It's been years, but I used 1/8" brass pin stock to join a 1" long acrylic tip to turned wood striker using epoxy.  I wasn't patient enough to make many, but they seemed to work well.
... or was it 1/16" brass stock?  Slept a few times since then...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!