OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeards through a standard full choke?

Started by Dtrkyman, March 29, 2016, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Anyone run this combo, I figured with that shell it may work better for 30 and in?

4n2t0

I should be able to tell you in a couple of weeks...

I just purchased a Mossberg 930 and I don't plan on buying a dedicated turkey choke (yet) so I'll be posting some patterns from a Mossberg 930 with a 28" barrel and factory full choke using Winchester Long Beard XR's (3" 1 7/8 #6). If I have the extra cash I also plan on buying Winchester Rooster XR's and see how they perform. If the Rooster XR's (3" 1 1/2 #6) come close to Long Beard performance then that's what I'll stick with because they're cheaper and you get 5 more shells.

P.S. This is a great site! I found out about it from other forums I frequent (Shotgun World & Canadian Gun Nutz) and I'm glad I did. What a wealth of knowledge and information.

Gobspur

I patterned my backup gun.  1970s Remington wingmaster, 28 in standard full barrel, open bead sights, with 3 inch longbeards #6.  Little less than 40 hits in 10 inches at 40 yds.  That gun is limited to 30 yds accordingly.

Izzyjoe

Me and a co worker tried some LB 6's in his mossberg 500 with the full choke, and if I remember correctly it was shooting 98 in 10" at 40 yds. He's happy with that cause 30 - 35 yds is his limit, and he says he don't want to spend any more on hunting stuff!

jarbo03

Have seen 2 different guns produce killing patterns at 40 yds with longbeard #5 and factory full choke.   Have to shoot for yourself and see.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4n2t0

Quote from: lindllc on March 29, 2016, 10:03:37 PM
I patterned my backup gun.  1970s Remington wingmaster, 28 in standard full barrel, open bead sights, with 3 inch longbeards #6.  Little less than 40 hits in 10 inches at 40 yds.  That gun is limited to 30 yds accordingly.

I'm no expert but less than 40 hits out of #6 shot from a full sounds off. 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?

Gobspur

Quote from: 4n2t0 on March 29, 2016, 11:53:13 PM
Quote from: lindllc on March 29, 2016, 10:03:37 PM

I'm no expert but less than 40 hits out of #6 shot from a full sounds off. 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?

I agree.  1 3/4 loads.  I only shot once at 40 yds target, and not a large sheet of paper.  So who knows may have pulled it.  But after that I shot a couple at 30 yds and had over a 100, so left it at that since it is backup gun I likely won't use.  Didn't spend more time patterning at 40.

Nate K

I took my little sister on the youth hunt here in Tennessee on Saturday and for her I replaced the jellyhead and Hevi-6's in my benelli M2 with the factory full and longbeard #5's (3") since she wouldn't be shooting as far and my typical pattern is so tight in close. I patterned this set up at 30 yards instead of of 40 since that was a more reasonable range for a first time hunter. I got 240ish pellets in 10" circle. We had a 2.5 year old gobbler come in to about 27 yards and it put him down hard!

I am thinking about shooting it at 40 yards just to see what the pattern looks like.

knightrider

factory full = long beard xr #4 no doubt!!!! :newmascot:

surehuntsalot

I've shot the #4 LB's in my 30" full choke 1100 magnum, plenty good enough for hunting    120-130 in the 10 at 40
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

4n2t0

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 30, 2016, 09:29:59 PM
I've shot the #4 LB's in my 30" full choke 1100 magnum, plenty good enough for hunting    120-130 in the 10 at 40

That's impressive. There's no need for any "specialty" chokes with those kind of numbers.

Izzyjoe

Buckeye_Strutter_935

i shot them threw the choke that came with my 935 and shot really well
Feathers Fear Me

turkey buster

If you have a 2.75in gun with a plain full choke pick up the Rooster XR shells. They are the longbeards of pheasant hunting but pattern well out of an old browning a-5 I have