turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gulvas masters choice

Started by brimmyfish, March 29, 2016, 01:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Denny makes a great call and yes he makes them with ripples in the reeds. He does that on purpose. There is a lot of throat calling while using his calls but they are all turkey.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Gooserbat

Now I don't really know Deny but we've talked a couple times.  He's a great guy and very knowledgeable.  He as a call maker has some very strong opinions about call construction and design.  I as a call builder understand his point of view and although I don't adhere to his opinions I do understand them and I can't say he's wrong, but only he has a different approach. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I'm sure Denny makes a great mouth call, and this particular one may be a great one.  Only the guy that runs it will know for sure.  That is the problem with mouth calls, you can "test" them before they go to the buyer.  Whether that particular call is capable of producing great turkey sounds would be very hard to say.  Everybody that makes mouth calls makes duds on occasion.  The call-making process is to imprecise to be able to avoid that.

Having said all of that, either the proph slipped a bit after it was crimped, or Denny did not get the reeds up tight on one side of the call when he crimped it.  You can see by looking at the call that the reeds are at an angle to the front of the call.  That sometimes would make no difference in the sound the call can produce, but it might, especially in the hands of someone that is not as proficient at running a mouth call as Denny Gulvas or others of his caliber, and especially with someone who might not know how to go about modifying a mouth call to find the "turkey" in it.

As a call maker myself that sells a few calls each year, if I sold a call that looked like that and the buyer contacted me indicating that he could not get good sound out of it, I would replace it without question.  Of course, I would also not be surprised if someone told me the call looked ugly,...but sounded great.

The Woodsman

Gotta love internet philosophers....

paboxcall

Quote from: PALongspur on March 30, 2016, 07:46:07 PM
Quote from: drenalinld on March 30, 2016, 07:39:10 PM
As stated that is the way he designed it. He may be the most realistic turkey caller ever. The best of the best want to sound like Gulvas. If you are on Facebook look up Matt Van Cise running Gulvas calls.

Totally agree. I've often said he's the best caller I've ever heard, period.

I called against his son Brian years ago and he definitely got the old man's talent!

:agreed: :icon_thumright:  Denny is by far the best caller I have ever heard.  Lots of guys sound like turkeys, but Gulvas becomes a turkey.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer