OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gulvas masters choice

Started by brimmyfish, March 29, 2016, 01:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brimmyfish

I ordered a few new mouth calls the other day and one of the ones I wanted to try was the masters choice. For those of you that have this call I was wondering if the call I got was supposed to look like this? The reeds are kind of rolled and one side of the reed near the front of the call the latex doesn't go to the end of the metal like the other side. So is this normal? Don't pay any attention to writing on the call, I just labeled it to keep it separate from others.

Thanks

joker

That's a sad looking mouth call. Whoever built that didn't do a good job.

brimmyfish

I hadn't ever saw one like this but I figured I would ask on here before I said something was wrong with it. The masters choice seems to be one that a lot of people like.

Marc

It sure does not look like that in the advertising picture.

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/diaphragm-calls/345-gulvas-masters-choice-diaphragm-call.html

It is apparently a 2.5 reed with some sort of "special spacer" in the reed (whatever that means).  Maybe the spacer creates some issues when stretching the latex?

My question would be if you are happy with the sound the call makes?  If so, keep it.  If not, send that picture to whoever you bought the call from and ask for a replacement.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

What Marc said.  I don't care how pretty a call looks, the important thing is how it sounds.  Having said that, that particular call was definitely not put together properly,...or the reed material slipped. Those reeds look like proph material, which are more prone to slipping/wrinkling than the thicker latex.  So, if it doesn't sound good to you, send it back and get it replaced.  I'm sure Gulvas will be happy to do so.

idratherb

Gulvas makes great mouth calls, all mine look like that mainly because he only uses side tension. For the comments saying the maker didn't do a good job, you obviously dont know Denny Gulvas.

boatpaddle

He is a 4 time Grand National Champion
     He is a 4 time All American Grand Champion
     He is a 3 time Levi Garrett Champion

He called against the best of the best...Dick Kirby, Ben Lee, and many other champion callers....

He filmed, wrote, produced, and edited (4) ea....2hour DVD's filled to the brim with turkey knowledge, wild turkey footage, teaches turkey talk and turkey hunting techniques.....

(814) 371-6555  Ask for Denny......I'm sure, he would be very glad to talk with you about this call, turkeys, or turkey hunting....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

brimmyfish

I appreciate all of the info that everyone has given me about this call. I will spend some time running the call and see if it has a negative effect on the sound. Thanks again to all that replied.

Dr Juice

It looks defective but that wouldn't bother me as long as it produces quality sound.

PALongspur

That's exactly how it's supposed to look!

Give yourself plenty of time to get familiar with running it, that is probably the most realistic mouth call on the market!

Hunter1979

Looks pretty similar to mine:

The Woodsman

Quote from: PALongspur on March 29, 2016, 08:39:12 PM
That's exactly how it's supposed to look!

Give yourself plenty of time to get familiar with running it, that is probably the most realistic mouth call on the market!

This ^^^^^
I have run Gulvas calls since the mid 80's and it is all the call you will ever need. It has a true rasp unlike all the calls that have funky cuts and mistakenly think the latex rattle is rasp. It is not. ;)

drenalinld

As stated that is the way he designed it. He may be the most realistic turkey caller ever. The best of the best want to sound like Gulvas. If you are on Facebook look up Matt Van Cise running Gulvas calls.

PALongspur

Quote from: drenalinld on March 30, 2016, 07:39:10 PM
As stated that is the way he designed it. He may be the most realistic turkey caller ever. The best of the best want to sound like Gulvas. If you are on Facebook look up Matt Van Cise running Gulvas calls.

Totally agree. I've often said he's the best caller I've ever heard, period.

I called against his son Brian years ago and he definitely got the old man's talent!

SteelerFan

I'm a Gulvas Masters Choice newbie (friend set me up  ;) ). Here is what I've discovered with this call:

- Comes out of the package with rippled reeds. Looks like it's "blown out", but it's not!
- Takes A LOT LESS air to run it. If you run it like a stiff 3 reed combo, it's not gonna sound right.
- With no cuts, the control of this call is more "tongue" (for me, anyway).

With the call in place, you can apply pressure with the tongue raising up enough to get a kee kee. Drop the tongue pressure some, and regulate the yelp with the tongue cutting airflow at each yelp as you run it. A good seal against the roof of your mouth with light air huffed and controlled with the tongue produces some pretty awesome raspy yelps - even though there aren't any cuts.

Remembering, as with ALL diaphragms, that the air is running UNDER the call and OVER your tongue helped me mentally adjust pretty quickly.