Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

red head balckout .575 choke/ moss 500 20 ga load recomendations

Started by briton, March 28, 2016, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briton

Ive been wanting to set up a 20 ga turkey gun for a while. I recently purchased a red head blackout .575 for my Mossberg 500. I tried some fed hw 6 and fed #6 with decent results, its ported but the ports are really thin and linear so I didn't think the FC wad would be a problem, I was wondering if the HW 7s or maybe the hevishot 7 or magblends would do better. The poa/poi was low and right with both loads I tested so ordered the Williams universal slugger sights to correct it. Anybody input/suggestions would be appreciated.

FL-Boss

#7 HEVI or FED HW..... #7's is like butter... it just makes everything better!

stringtalker

Federal heavyweights #7's, best factory load made. Just find the right choke and you will be fine
Douglas

Philippe

R AJ

IC does not suggest using FC wads in their ported chokes. Your choke appears to be a little stronger in design but it depends on the metal used somewhat.

I agree about the federal shell being the best however a Hevi 13-#7 may do less choke damage. A Sumtoy 562-5 non ported and you are pretty much set.

A less expensive choke is the Carlson 575 non ported.

briton

It's not an Indian creek choke tube, it's a bass pro shops red head black out choke made by carlsons I believe from what I have been told. It is ported but the ports are very thin and linear which I think shouldn't cause any damage with FCW. it says on the package it is ok for for heavier than lead shot so fed hw shouldn't damage it. Thanks for the suggestions

R AJ

I know that it is not an IC . An IC has more slits closer together than your choke and Your choke, as I mentioned looks to be machined stronger than the IC.

IC chokes have had many HTL loads through them but they do not recommend Fed FC wads in their ported chokes.

In 20 gauge I don't believe that it will be a big concern but when I say have a BLAST I mean it in a good way.

briton