OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good Starter Lathe

Started by bamagobblergetter, February 09, 2011, 07:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allegan Bowhunter

Have not seen anyone talk about Cummins lathes.  There is one for sale locally for $100 with a set of tools.  I am apprehensive cause I can not find many reviews on the brand.  Anyone have any experience with one? 

The specs on the listing are: "4 speed, 350 w. 1,100 - 1,600 rpm, 38 1/2 inch (1000 mm) max. length"     Here is a picture.

Seriously thinking about trying my hand at making some calls but don't have the time or spare coin to waste if this tool is junk.     :deadhorse:

Thanks for the help!

mranum

Quote from: Allegan Bowhunter on March 14, 2011, 03:19:53 AM
Have not seen anyone talk about Cummins lathes.  There is one for sale locally for $100 with a set of tools.  I am apprehensive cause I can not find many reviews on the brand.  Anyone have any experience with one? 

The specs on the listing are: "4 speed, 350 w. 1,100 - 1,600 rpm, 38 1/2 inch (1000 mm) max. length"     Here is a picture.

Seriously thinking about trying my hand at making some calls but don't have the time or spare coin to waste if this tool is junk.     :deadhorse:

Thanks for the help!

Don't know much about the lathe except it looks like the same Chinese one that Menards and a few others sell.  Last I new you could pick one up for around $100 new.  What ever you pick up just make sure the tail stock has a #2 morse taper as opposed to a #1.  Its a lot easier to get live centers, drill chucks etc for a #2.

The tools looks like these here.  http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-turning-set-35444.html  Normally you can pick them up for around $50 on sale.  They are a decent set, I have them and they hold an edge fairly decent.

Another piece of advice for those considering getting into turning.  You need to have a grinder with a good stone to get the gouges sharp.  Really learn how to sharpen the tools it will save you tons of headaches!

lightsoutcalls

I have 2 Jet Mini VS lathes and love them.  I have one set up to use my faceplate (I don't use a chuck) for turning pots and the other set up with the tailstock in place to turn strikers.  I have been using the Grizzly midi sized tool set for the past 5 years.  These have 5 or 6 pieces for about $59.  They aren't the best, I'm sure, but have helped me turn probably over 1,500 pots in that amount of time.  I go through a set about every year, but only have a bench grinder and belt sander to sharpen.  With a better sharpening setup, I'm sure I could make them last longer.  I look at it this way... 2 call and I've paid for a new set of gouges...  not bad in my opinion.

I would suggest not skimping on the lathe.  Go with the best you can afford and you won't be sorry. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Allegan Bowhunter

mranum:  thanks for the help.   I was really hesitant when I could very little online about them.   

Gonna pass on this one.  Good things (can) happen to those who wait!   :lol:   I won't mention the reaction wifey would have if I buy it and get my first set of fly rod making materials in the same week..    :fud:  ???   :whip2:

mranum

I wouldn't throw out the idea of a Harbor Freight lathe either.  I can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head but there are a gems they sell among the crap they sell.  Also just keep an eye on craigslist, there was a guy near me a few months back that sold a 2 year old Delta midi with tools for under $200.

Another avenue often overlooked are the local radio call in shows usually found on the AM side.  Usually upper middle aged to older folks listen to them.  Its worked for me in the past with good results.  I usually can't listen when its on so I send an email to the station and they'll read my want ad on the air.  Thats how I got my first Shopsmith, an elderly lady called me.  Her husband had passed several years earlier and she was wondering what to do with his tools.  Needless to say I left with more than just the SS.  If I am seriously looking for something I always do the radio swap shop shows first.

cleanslate

Quote from: Allegan Bowhunter on March 14, 2011, 03:19:53 AM

Thanks for the help!

That is the exact same lathe that I started with from harbor freight. Stay away from it! You would be much happier with the cast iron lathe from H/F for only ahout $100 more.