turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wingbone help

Started by yella yelper, March 20, 2016, 06:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

Ok guys, I've never made any sort of turkey call before.  I've got the wing bones from a gobbler I killed last year.  Got them cleaned but now what? I can loosely fit them together but need some guidance going forward. Thanks

lumberjack

Sounds like you have a good start! I must warn you at this point building callers is addictive! To complete you wingbone you will need some 5 minute 2 part epoxy and perhaps some sandpaper or Drexel tool. The mouthpiece (small bone) usually requires a small bit of trimming. The middle section I usually trim a bit off both ends. The upper end so the small bone fits inside. And the other end small enough to fit inside the biggest bone.  The biggest bone needs trimmed so that the middle bone fits neatly inside and the knuckle trimmed off if you want. now you're about ready to glue your joints. Some folks pack the joints with a cotton ball and then epoxy over the packing. This works well and holds the joints securely while you're working on the call. Anymore I make my sections fit tightly together and use a dot of super glue to hold them, then epoxy them. When you apply the epoxy make sure it gets down into the joints and make sure you rotate the caller so the epoxy doesn't sag to the bottom of the joint.  This is the quick explanation of how I make my wingbones. I hope it helps and isn't too confusing! Good luck!

Jeff Jones
Burlington, Wv

yella yelper

Thanks Jeff, I may tinker with it some more on my vacation. Any way to get smell/taste out?

lumberjack

If you didn't already, boil them in water, with some peroxide and a touch of dish detergent. This helps clean them, hopefully whitens them and the dish soap helps with the smell and taste a bit.

Jeff Jones
Burlington, Wv

southern_leo

Youtube has some good videos of how to do this

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

yella yelper

Soaked the bones on peroxide a couple of days. I forgot that I had a copy of "After the Hunt" by Lovett Williams. He details the process well. Here's the finished product. I made two but the other call is much too deep for my liking. Ain't the prettiest, but it's my first try and it works