OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Still have the first call... You?

Started by SteelerFan, March 20, 2016, 06:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspaci

yup, Quaker Boy double faced pot call with black acrylic striker, used the slate side for my first I called to the gun. Also have the home made no name box my father in law used for my first kill. Mike

tha bugman

Officially retired years ago..It was a slate call that my mentor made and gave to me along with my Lynch box call.

Double B

Yep, still remember right where I was standing when I drew my first gobble from my then new quaker boy aluminator.  Lost the maple one piece striker along the way but still have that raspy old aluminator.  Still carry it sometimes and it plays well.
Followed by buzzards

nitro

Lynch Fool Proof I bought in Oshman's Sporting Goods in Tucker, GA. Only boxcall they had. It worked and still does. Killed my first Gobbler in April 1978.  Bird gobbled off the roost, Flew down in a cart road in some planted pines, strutted for about 8 seconds ( which was as long as it took me to shoulder my Grandpa's Model 12 and knock off the safety).. It is a cherished possession.
Royal Slam 2008

Big Guy

Yeppers.  Quaker Boy Grand Old Master from around 99.  Called in a lot of birds and it still has a spot in the vest

West Augusta

Quote from: Double B on March 21, 2016, 11:55:11 AM
Yep, still remember right where I was standing when I drew my first gobble from my then new quaker boy aluminator.  Lost the maple one piece striker along the way but still have that raspy old aluminator.  Still carry it sometimes and it plays well.
I also carry a Quaker Boy Aluminator.  Great sounding pot call. Bought it in the bargain bin along with a generic slate call that I also sometimes carry at K-Mart in St. Claresville Ohio about 10 years ago.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Stickbow98

Ah, you never forget your 1st... Mine was a P.S. Olt Gobble Box I bought in 1979.
Today it sits in a place of honor in my trophy case- the one that started it all!  :camohat:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

OldSchool

I wish I did. I lost my old Lynch box trying to get ahead of a traveling bird one morning. I tried to retrace my steps on my way out and went back and spent all afternoon looking. Didn't get the bird either.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Bolandstrutters

Mine was some sort of garbage plastic push pin call.  I think it was either primos or knight and hale.  I scared many of turkeys off with it the first few years.  I think I through it out of my truck window one morning

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 22, 2016, 04:23:22 PM
Mine was some sort of garbage plastic push pin call.  I think it was either primos or knight and hale.  I scared many of turkeys off with it the first few years.  I think I through it out of my truck window one morning
:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

MattinIdaho

I still have mine. I'd never sell or get rid of it. A Tim Sanford ambrosia maple glass. I've killed several birds with that call. I don't even hunt with it anymore because I'm afraid I'll lose it. One of my kids will get that call someday.

bigjames50

Yes I still have mine, a Lohman Double Thunder box call. I wrote the date of harvest on the underside of the box.

WildTigerTrout

My first was a Lynch "World Champion" early 70's. It's gone but I found another just like it about ten years ago. Great sound! The older they get the better they sound.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Cut N Run

Mine was a Lynch World Champion as well.  It broke one day in 1984 when I was crossing Robeson Creek in Chatham County, N.C..  I slipped on a rock and landed with the box between me and another rock, which broke one side of the call.  It was trashed and sounded dead after that.  I kept looking for another World Champion with a similar squeaky pitch that mine had, but the ones I found didn't have the same tone. I moved on and got corrupted by long boxes.  I've only used a short box a few times over the past 3 decades, though I do have a Hustlin' Hen by Billy White that talks the talk.  I just haven't hunted with it yet.  It is hard for me to remove the old faithful Boat Paddle from my vest and exchange it for anything else.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.