OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Still have the first call... You?

Started by SteelerFan, March 20, 2016, 06:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Getting stuff sorted for the upcoming season, and I came across my first call - a little peg / slate made by A.M. Coiner out of Waynesboro, Virginia. Killed my first bird with it in the fall of '79. Killed several fall birds with it actually. Never hunted spring until '84 and I had already started on mouth calls by then, after talking with Dick Kirby one year at the Sport show in Harrisburg.

Spitten and drummen

That should be a killer. I'm a believer that if you have a call that can fool hens then it is a great call. My first was a piece of cane. It's long gone. My first high tech call was a piece of slate and you used your hand for the pot with a corn Cobb top and hickory stem. Killed a few birds with both. My first production call was a Penns wood single sided box. Sounded horrendous but fooled a few here and there.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Spring Creek Calls

I really like your first call. Reminds me of the Lonnie Sneed Lonesome Hen I just purchased. Love that sweet little Hen that can come from it. I lost my first call, a 1970's Roger Lathom (SP) box, before the second season. Never got to shoot a bird with it.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Happy

Don't have any of my first calls or guns.
Wish I did but due to circumstances beyond my control I had to start from scratch when I started working at 18 other than a muzzloader and .270 my mom bought me for christmas presents when I was 15 and 16. We didn't have much money and I am sure she was really stretching things to get me those. I still have them. Thanks mom  :)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HFultzjr

Lynch Foolproof from as close as I can remember 45+ years ago.
I was probably 11.
I had 2, but lost 1 somehow.
Don't remember, but I've only had the empty box for it last 10 years.

larry9988

Still have mine, it is a Lynch Foolproof Box. Called in quite a few with it over the years.

West Augusta

Yep, still got it.  A green pot Ol Yeller that I had Knight and Hale sign at Nashville two years ago.
Called in my first and several gobblers after that with it.  It's now retired.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

wvmntnhick

I don't have the first call, or calls for that matter. I've got the call my grandfather used to call in one of my earlier birds for me. It was my second bird if I recall correctly. I don't use it as it's got some sentimental value. I'd like to get proficient with it but it just doesn't sound that good to me. Never did really but it sure called some birds for pap. Only call I ever remember hi using actually. It's a Lost John scratch box type but the striker is actually a piece of chalk. Never need to chalk it since the chalk is the striker.

Quote from: Happy on March 20, 2016, 07:53:02 PM
Don't have any of my first calls or guns.
Wish I did but due to circumstances beyond my control I had to start from scratch when I started working at 18 other than a muzzloader and .270 my mom bought me for christmas presents when I was 15 and 16. We didn't have much money and I am sure she was really stretching things to get me those. I still have them. Thanks mom  :)
Fellas, beware of the man that owns but one deer rifle. He knows how to use it, and he uses that one well. Rarely misses with it and when he does, it's usually the follow up shots at a deer that didn't fall over immediately. The volley sounds like that of an automatic. And, when that deer hits the ground, I'll bet there's more than one hole in it. Fella can shoot.

Happy belated birthday btw. Hope all went well. 

SteelerFan

Quote from: West Augusta on March 20, 2016, 08:52:49 PM
Yep, still got it.  A green pot Ol Yeller that I had Knight and Hale sign at Nashville two years ago.
Called in my first and several gobblers after that with it.  It's now retired.

That's REALLY cool Steve! :icon_thumright:

Yoder409

My first "turkey call" was a 35mm film canister, some black tape and a chunk of rubber glove that I cobbled together.  Killed my first spring bird with it.  It may still be around somewhere.

My first store boughten call was an H.S.Strut Champion Yelper one-sider box call.............a plastic box with a cedar paddle and sound board and factory painted camo. Have not used it in over 25 years. But I still have it.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

MDSTRUTNRUT

My first call was a walnut pushbutton call bought at a NWT event in my county before we even had a turkey season.   Not sure who made it but killed my first gobbler with it and a few more then gave it to my nephew when he started turkey hunting along with my old mossyoak cotton vest.   He used it for years with success.  Sometimes the simple things are the most productive.

WillowRidgeCalls

Yep I do. The first calls I've ever bought was a Lohman short box and a Primos trough slate call, back in "82. Killed a few birds with the trough call, then retired it. Since I started building calls I've never used anything but my own since.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

lmbhngr

Yep. Still have mine. 1992/Grand ol master. In my vest every year!!

Marc

Quote from: lmbhngr on March 20, 2016, 10:59:23 PM
Yep. Still have mine. 1992/Grand ol master. In my vest every year!!
I started hunting about 1990 with a Grand ol' Master...  Lost it a few years back, but found it the next season.  It does not work so well, but have kept it for sentimental reasons.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

357MAGNOLE

Since I bought my first call last year.... Yeah I do lol. Halloran Crystal Mistress
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson