turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Advice on a box call

Started by Swamp Rooster, March 16, 2016, 10:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beakbuster10

I've only had one production box that was all turkey. It was an HS Strut Field Champion w/ the plastic base. Sounded horrible until one day I dropped it on concrete and split a good portion of the plastic base off. I don't carry it much any more, use my Dad's (Mr. Jerry White) purpleheart over cedar, but the old HS did convince two longbeards to make a fatal mistake last spring. Moral to my long story is, unless you find the one in a million production call or you "break in" a production call, go custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thundrchikin

Cane Creek makes a very good affordable box.

vabeardhunter

Sorry but not going to be able to help with your question either as I would agree to call Al and Josh and get an SS. Your gonna end up spending more trying to get something to sound good that never will. You won't be disappointed with SS. Great calls and even better to deal with...

Jgarrett

Quote from: vabeardhunter on March 17, 2016, 10:56:39 AM
Sorry but not going to be able to help with your question either as I would agree to call Al and Josh and get an SS. Your gonna end up spending more trying to get something to sound good that never will. You won't be disappointed with SS. Great calls and even better to deal with...

I agree.  Get you a SS field grade short box, and go rock and roll.  I love my walnut over butternut, and I just recently got a maple over mineral poplar and it sings too.  Definitely would recommend the walnut over butternut, for a good medium pitch and classic sound.  Good luck to you.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

FL-Boss

I'm not a real big fan of box calls, more of a pot call guy myself.   But I will tell you .. I recently picked up a Primos Hook Up with the magnet lid and I'm pretty impressed. I probably have 10 box calls and this one is the best.  The box has some good weight to it, and makes a fanatic gobble sound ( the real reason I purchased it)

Not all big production stuff is bad ... may want to give this call a try.

Cut*N*Run

You can definitely get a good call with the machine made calls- Primos, HS, Spring Creek etc., but it's nice to have a call that you know was made by hand.

In other words, another vote for the SS box call!

turkey stew

SSCustom gets my vote. The field grade is custom made and runs all turkey including gobbles.