OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pre Season Calling

Started by OldSchool, March 16, 2016, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I think some people give turkeys a little too much credit, I don't have a strong opinion either way in this argument but some people seem to think these birds are actually outsmarting use. They aren't self evident to the fact that they are being hunted, they aren't waking up on the limb devising plans to outwit those dang hunter again. They wake up and do turkey stuff, if spooked or pressure they react mostly with fleeing or relocating. If a hunter so chooses to locate preseason with a box call I see no real harm, yes setting up and getting busted is a good way to make your birds adjust their patterns just as if they were harassed by a coyote off the roost several times they would probably relocate roosting sites.

I have gone into a no hunting park and played with birds a few times, not really to test my skills but for just for fun and to take some photographs. Gives me something to do before the season opens, the park warden usually just wants to see any shots I took, never asked if it was legal but he doesn't seem to mind.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ihuntoldschool

Big mistake.  I think we may be selling turkeys short; they are probably smarter than given credit for.

THattaway

Turkeys are conditioned to response. You call them in and camo blob moves to scare them and they just got imprinted a little. You do it several times and they can get conditioned to looking for camo blob when/if they come in. I'm of the opinion they can also become conditioned to recognize a hunters calls if he uses the same calls from the same spots, spooks birds often, hunts sloppy. For those who say that is a bunch of bunk, consider this: A turkey is imprinted with it's own mother hens calls before it even leaves the egg.

By the way, wildlife calls are illegal in GSNP.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Bowguy

Straight up imo it's not smart. Every animal is more vulnerable if they don't know they're being hunted.,I believe many guys, at least guys I've known who do it, do it for two reasons. First one is because that's one of the only times they personally can get em to consistently respond (before the pressure is on) or two to booger other spots up. Tell your buddy to go call his own birds over n over. Chances of being caught are decent n birds continually coming to the same type calling w no hens ever there are  sure to lose interest.

GobbleNut

We've had this discussion many times before.  There are two "absolutes" here. 
The first is that wild turkeys will "absolutely" become "call shy" (or "human shy",...or whatever name you want to give to it).
The second is that anybody that claims otherwise "absolutely" does not know what they are talking about.
The end. 
;D :toothy9: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :toothy9: ;D

OldSchool

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 20, 2016, 10:29:23 AM
We've had this discussion many times before.  There are two "absolutes" here. 
The first is that wild turkeys will "absolutely" become "call shy" (or "human shy",...or whatever name you want to give to it).
The second is that anybody that claims otherwise "absolutely" does not know what they are talking about.
The end. 
;D :toothy9: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :toothy9: ;D

I realise that your post wasn't intended that way, but I apologise for bringing up a topic that's been discussed at length in the past. I get fired up at times and don't think to search first. ;D  Thank you for your input. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

GobbleNut

No apology is needed, Bob.  This is a good topic to be brought up every year,...if for no other reason than to let the newbies know not to go out and call in the birds they (or others) will be hunting. 

I have tried and tried to explain, in years past, the science behind the fact that turkeys (as well as all other organisms) are perfectly capable of learned behavior.  Yet, there are those folks around that insist otherwise.  If they want to decrease their chances of killing gobblers by calling to them before the season, that is their problem.  However, they should not misinform others,...and especially the new guys here that are trying to learn how to kill gobblers,...by insinuating that turkeys are not capable or learning to avoid turkey calling they hear in the distance.  Turkeys are most certainly capable of that learning. 

The Woodsman

Question for you guys against it,

What are you really concerned about? Afraid that you may actually have to work a bird that has been pressured? Trying to have a hunt they had 50 yrs ago when you make one series of calls and the turkey cooperates like it did back in the day of the pilgrims?

Those days are past and the turkey is adapting to their surroundings/pressure, you are not. Step up your game and adapt like they did. I am sure it makes for a good excuse when the season ends and you get skunked. "Dad gum guys out calling before season ruined my chances at getting a turkey" LOL, adapt.......

It is only going to get worse....

Happy

I am against it for the very reason that I enjoy hearing turkeys gobble. Believe me I hunt and kill plenty of pressured birds. Two weeks of turkey season in the areas I hunt is enough to cause a night and day difference in turkey behavior. Now I am going to kill birds because I am willing to out work 95% of people that hunt around here. But it is nice to stand on a ridge and hear a few birds instead of dead silence. But people are going to do what they are going to do and I say knock yourselves out. I just don't like to hear people cry about how great the birds were acting right before season compared to the middle of season. Don't know how people don't see the answer to that puzzling question  since it's right in front of them. And yes birds go thru cycles but Tom's will still gobble all season long if pressure is kept in check. I am beginning to think turkeys are at least smarter than some of the people hunting them.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

OldSchool

Quote from: The Woodsman on March 20, 2016, 01:47:19 PM

What are you really concerned about? Afraid that you may actually have to work a bird that has been pressured? Trying to have a hunt they had 50 yrs ago when you make one series of calls and the turkey cooperates like it did back in the day of the pilgrims?

Those days are past and the turkey is adapting to their surroundings/pressure, you are not. Step up your game and adapt like they did. I am sure it makes for a good excuse when the season ends and you get skunked. "Dad gum guys out calling before season ruined my chances at getting a turkey" LOL, adapt.......

You assume a lot LOL. You assume that I want to hunt easily killable birds and you couldn't be more wrong. The birds I hunt are pressured almost every day of the season. It makes for a very enjoyable hunt and a sense of accomplishment calling them in close and taking the birds that I choose to shoot.

You assume that I can't, or won't adapt to changing conditions, but again you're wrong. If I didn't, I probably wouldn't be able fill my tags spring and fall each year, but there again, you've assumed that I don't and need an excuse.

If you'll forgive me for doing so, I'll answer your question with another one. What possible good can come from taking birds that are pressured non stop to begin with and start hammering them weeks before season, calling and spooking them repeatedly?

We all have our own opinions and I respect everybody's, whether I agree with them or not. ;) I wish you the best of luck this spring. :icon_thumright:

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

fallhnt

Quote from: The Woodsman on March 20, 2016, 01:47:19 PM

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

fallhnt

^^^ Some states this is illegal and if you practice and scout you know you will call birds in anyway,so why do it?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Honolua

I do it on other people's land lol