turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre Season Calling

Started by OldSchool, March 16, 2016, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jepcho

I'm agree with pretty much everybody on here.  I don't turkey call at them until season starts and I am trying to call one in to kill it.

Greg Massey

I agree never never never call to the birds before season opens..If your calling before season opens it tells me your not a very good turkey hunter..you must be a rookie...

GED6531

I thought it was illegal in a lot of states as well. I have never even thought of doing this. Turkeys are hard enough to kill, especially in the South; I don't want to educate the birds more than I have to.

silvestris

Kenny Morgan made this statement once: "It may booger them up worse when they are called to and no hen is there when they come".  This from a man who let a trailer truck full of them walk.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

vabeardhunter

I was actually thinking about doing this at a park that there is no hunting. Being fairly new I thought it would be a good way to test skills and calls with no harm. Had no intention of setting up on any. Was just going to take a walk with a call or two and see how it went. Where I was thinking is surrounded by no hunting also. Guess I'll rethink things as it sounds like most are against it. Here I thought I was being resourceful and getting in hunting shape at the same time http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/Smileys/classic/help.gif

VaTuRkStOmPeR

VABEARD, if you're new to the sport and you have a battlefield or some type of park where hunting is prohibited, there is no better way to get experience than calling up turkeys.  There's no harm or foul when doing it in a situation where there is no chance they will ever be hunted.

Outside of the park or battlefield situation there is no practical value in calling up turkeys before the season. 

OldSchool

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on March 16, 2016, 05:28:45 PM
VABEARD, if you're new to the sport and you have a battlefield or some type of park where hunting is prohibited, there is no better way to get experience than calling up turkeys.  There's no harm or foul when doing it in a situation where there is no chance they will ever be hunted.

Outside of the park or battlefield situation there is no practical value in calling up turkeys before the season.

Absolutely, have at it. You'll gain some experience at no cost to you or anybody else. :icon_thumright:

In my original post, I was referring to calling in birds before the season in places we, or others are going to be hunting.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Rick Howard

You may want to check with the park to be sure its allowed... It is very uncomfortable to explain yourself to the ranger... 

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Rick Howard on March 16, 2016, 06:01:31 PM
You may want to check with the park to be sure its allowed... It is very uncomfortable to explain yourself to the ranger...

Sounds as if someone is speaking from experience.

Rick Howard

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 16, 2016, 06:34:06 PM

Sounds as if someone is speaking from experience.

Apparently testing my calls on the park turkey was prohibited.       

OldSchool

That's something I hadn't thought of, thanks Rick.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Rick Howard

Quote from: OldSchool on March 16, 2016, 07:02:57 PM

That's something I hadn't thought of, thanks Rick.

Bob

Always lookin out for my fellow man.

turkeyfoot

Its especially bad on public ground becasue why most have common sense their are always the ones that have to see if they can call them in which couple weeks before season right when hens are just starting to get ready to breed and Toms are all heated up you could call them in by truck load and feel like superman then after they come in and find no hen or that a human is there over and over you end up with a bird that sits in one spot and gobbles away but won't move or even sit in tree for hours gobbling at your calls waiting on the hen to come in, remember its not the calls that are the problem turkey sounds are turkey sounds  its the finding no hen and human every time they come in and they often close that last distance quiet so people get busted and don't even know it

Fullfan

Quote from: fallhnt on March 16, 2016, 12:59:48 PM
northwoodshntr, I'll laugh with you for checking your "skills" on non-hunted turkey. :z-guntootsmiley:

I can tell you that would be impossible to do here in PA. If a bird gobbles 9 guys hear him.
Don't gobble at me...

The Woodsman

Call em in...... just because of the controversy :)