turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre Season Calling

Started by OldSchool, March 16, 2016, 12:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

It's a common practice with a few guys I know to go out several times before the opener and call birds. If you  push these guys a little, they'll admit to spooking some of them. Probably more than they admit, and I'm sure there are others that they aren't even aware of. It's just my opinion, but it never made sense to me to go out and harass the birds like that before season. I try to be very low key any time I'm in the woods and especially with my pre season scouting. We can spook birds any time we're in the woods and they get over it and go about their business, but I've never agreed with calling birds in close, pre season.

I'm not talking about hammering out a cackle from a high point somewhere, getting an answer and backing out knowing you have a bird there to hunt and leaving him alone til season. I'm talking actually setting up on birds and calling them in prior to season. What are your thoughts?

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

possum58

I don't but know those who do and it seems like I get to hear them say every year "I don't understand it he came right in before season" or "we called him in twice before season but today he just went the other way"

Then you got those who go out call birds in somewhere they don't hunt, problem is someone else may hunt there. Why ruin someone elses spot?

I'm against it and wont do it myself but too each their own I suppose.

THattaway

I don't educate birds. Honestly though, my first thought was "moron".
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

hotspur

Setting up and calling them in is not good, obviously the risk of spooking turkeys and there are more out there other than the one gobbling. I hunted one for 6 days one time had him in range a couple of times but could not see him. The more I hunted him the less he responded, I finally killed him by not calling to him

Dr Juice

I concur. I know a hunter who has called gobblers up to his truck while using a box call. I don't understand it but he likes to hear them gobble. I suggested to him to use a crow or other shock 'em call but it goes in one ear and out the other. Some peeps have no common sense ...

buck_hunter21

I have heard guys tell me they have called to birds at a distance to hear them (which I think is dumb), but I have never heard of anyone actually setting up and calling a bird in. That takes it to another level of stupidity.  For me, I don't take a turkey call into the woods when I am scouting. Getting a bird in range can be hard enough when they aren't educated. 
Spill Blood

Hooksfan

I can remember doing it when I was just starting out hunting.  The only thing it did for me was to boost a little confidence that I could call one in.  I have had two different students approach me already this year here in Missouri bragging about calling in some birds.  I gave them both the same advice---Now that you have had some fun with them, if you plan on actually trying to kill them later, then leave them alone and practice your calling at home.
Even if it doesn't affect them as bad as I believe it does, I see no real purpose in doing it.  I want the birds I am hunting to be as unpressured as possible on opening day.

fallhnt

It's illegal to do that in IL a month before the season starts. I can say I've never done that. Practice at home or in your truck.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

northwoodshntr

I have set up on turkeys I didn't intend to hunt in an area with NO turkey season at the time. I was new to turkey hunting and just wanted to check my skills and prowess. A few yrs. later I realized the negative impact it creates. I was on a weekend hunt with a friend new to turkey hunting. He had turkeys on his camp land but they roosted on the neighbors land. The first morning we set up 3 or 4 times but never closed the deal. After that the toms headed back to neighbor's land and wouldn't come back. They'd gobble at our calls all day but wouldn't budge.
  My best advice is save it for when you mean it.

fallhnt

northwoodshntr, I'll laugh with you for checking your "skills" on non-hunted turkey. :z-guntootsmiley:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

jakesdad

I've done it from a vantage point once birds come off roost to get an idea of where they are headed IF they aren't gobbling on their own.

I've never setup and called birds in. This is where people think birds get "call shy" but in reality get people shy. I had Mr Ray Eye himself explain this to me. Just because a bird comes in to a hen that isn't there doesn't make him unhuntable. How many times do you think a Tom has been "stood up" by real hens?  Probably more than you think.

The culprit here is if we call a bird in we end up doing something,unintentionally or not, to spook that bird.thats the reason I don't setup before season and call them in.making them call shy has nothing to do with it , to me anyway

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

mgm1955

Double B

Followed by buzzards

Gobble!

I don't even crow call at them before the season.

wvmntnhick

I've been known to throw a few notes at them from a distance to get them to gobble. As for setting up to call them in before I want to kill one, nope. If I'm calling at a setup, it's to kill the bird. No sense educating them before that moment arrives. They can be hard enough to kill before the education process begins.