turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many yelps in a row?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 16, 2016, 10:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I have a pretty good idea of the cadence from watching YouTube videos, but I can't seem to find a pattern in how many yelps I should be doing. Also, is each turkey different in regards to how high pitched a yelp should be?

Spitten and drummen

there is no set number however turkeys have different meanings with yelping. for instance you have lost yelping , conversational yelps , mating yelps... ect. usually a standard 3 to 6 yelps , fluctuating low to high showing excitement  or vice versa with a few clucks thrown in is a good medium. its a tough question to outright answer. listen to the hens while hunting and how the gobblers respond to their yelping. you can only have a rule of thumb , after all I don't think the turkeys can count. don't get into a habit of the same number of yelps and clucks with the same pattern. mix it up along with volumn and even tempo. this will add realism which is more important than a certain number of yelps in a series. this is just my opinion. good luck
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

mikejd

I try not to do the same over and over. You know how many times I have picked out a hunter because he does a 4 yelp sequence all morning long.

deerbasshunter3

So basically, random yelps will be my best bet? And by random yelps, I mean random number, random pitch, random cadence.

Will it hurt to throw in some rasp here and there?

M Sharpe

Quote from: mikejd on March 16, 2016, 11:33:59 AM
I try not to do the same over and over. You know how many times I have picked out a hunter because he does a 4 yelp sequence all morning long.

Never had that problem because most get so caught up in their calling session that they just run on and on.

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Some variation in pitch is natural.  Cadence varies the least.  Face different directions too. 

tha bugman

about 8 but you need to mix it up...if you mess up keep going...everybody has their own style

deerbasshunter3

So basically, yelp until a turkey gobbles back, then stick with that?

SteelerFan

When watching YouTube videos, listen to the hens more than any caller.

Here's a good one from Ellis:

http://youtu.be/53mjIfm_wlE

paboxcall

Your calling must be authentic, communicate emotion.  Otherwise you can yelp two times, three times, or fifty thousand times it won't matter.  It's all about realism.  Cadence and volume are just parts of the sum total.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

M Sharpe

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 16, 2016, 09:10:48 PM
So basically, yelp until a turkey gobbles back, then stick with that?

You might be yelping for hours, and that ain't natural. Yelp a few times and stop. Wait a bit and yelp a few more times. Who's counting?? Turkeys can't! But they know when you yelp 50,000 times, you ain't natural.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Bowguy

Instead of you tube Lovett Williams has great CDs. Get one or two, he explains a lot of the whys n you'll hear real turkeys making all the calls they have

ferocious calls

If you have the time, get into the woods at fly down time before season and listen. Get close enough to hear them without spooking them. Many may tell you to leave your calls at home but, you could learn a lot with very little calling. Spend the first week without a call and just listen. Knowing the roost areas is key.

Yoder409

Maybe 3.     Maybe 10.    Really doesn't matter.   Real hens don't count.     Me either.     I just go with what sounds right to me.    If the bird I'm calling to likes it I guess it doesn't matter to him either.      Just try to sound like a real hen.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 17, 2016, 08:20:00 AM
Maybe 3.     Maybe 10.    Really doesn't matter.   Real hens don't count.     Me either.     I just go with what sounds right to me.    If the bird I'm calling to likes it I guess it doesn't matter to him either.      Just try to sound like a real hen.
:z-winnersmiley:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!