OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many shells?

Started by tha bugman, March 15, 2016, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

How many shells do you take to the woods?  I usually take 5-6

eddie234

Five

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Philippe

An ammo belt full... Never know when the zombies will strike! :OGturkeyhead:

tha bugman

:help:
Quote from: Philippe on March 15, 2016, 05:25:37 PM

SCDieselDawg

Two for turkeys
Two for coyotes or snakes

Yoder409

3 in the gun............ 3 in the pocket.

Not sure why so many.  Just always did it that way.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jordanz7935

3 or 4 Turkey loads, and one high base 2&3/4 " #4 for woodchucks

Farmboy27

3 for in the gun and 3 in reserve.  Do I ever intend to use that many? No.  But 3 extra shells don't weight that much and you never know.  Years back I hit a bird with my first shot but he got back up and pitched off the brow of a ridge.  I shot my other 2 in the gun but missed (hurried the shots and just plain messed up).  Reloaded and went searching for him and finally jumped him from under a little hemlock a few hundreds yards away.  Hurried my shot again and missed the first but finally killed him the second.  Bad shooting yes, but I was glad I had enough ammo and always make sure I carry enough yet today

Philippe

Quote from: Philippe on March 15, 2016, 05:25:37 PM

Candyman

3 turkey loads and 2 low brass 8's for snakes.

SteelerFan

5... That's what the vest holds, I think? 3 for the gun, & 2 for the *#&%! walk back to the truck! :angry9:

Izzyjoe

Everybody must find what work for them, years ago I would load 6 shells in my mossberg, and keep a #4 buck in my pocket for yotes, and a couple #6 express loads for backup. By the end of the day that shotgun felt like a tank! So I only load two now, and I'm kind nervous about having buckshot in my possession, cause the GW would stiff me on that one. And I still carry a few game loads, I'd say 5 total, but I do keep a box of target loads in the blazer in case!

Mossyguy

I carry 5-6. Depending on what side of the base I hunt on it's either one bird a day or 3 birds a day. We can't shoot pigs or coyotes so I figure if I can't kill a turkey in 6 shots I might as well give it up.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Longshanks