turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bare spots in a pattern

Started by stringtalker, March 14, 2016, 04:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringtalker

Is there anything that can be done to stop the bare spots in a pattern? Would like to have it more evenly distributed in the circle. In this pattern the bare spot above the black dot
Douglas

Tom Foolery

What choke?

Sometimes splotchy patterns are a touch too much constriction. 

stringtalker

This choke is .570, so its not to tight
Douglas

gophert

I would say it's either oil in the barrel or choke is too tight. 

Sand Man

Did you deep clean the barrel?  Polish?

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

stringtalker

Quote from: Sand Man on March 15, 2016, 03:59:14 PM
Did you deep clean the barrel?  Polish?
This gun seems to shoot better with a dirty barrel, guess its back to the drawing board, lol
Douglas

sawtooth

snapper1982

Just because it is .570 does not mean it isnt to tight. It is all dependant on the gun and load. Each gun is different. You also say the gun shoots better dirty. Is that with a different choke/load or is that with this choke/load?

Philippe

Chances are the pattern is being blown because it is over choked or the choke/shell combo just does not jive. As long as it is not a chrome bored gun, I would deep clean it and polish the barrel and then experiment with other choke/load combinations.

stringtalker

Quote from: sawtooth on March 19, 2016, 10:32:55 AM
what gun is this?
Its a CVA scout 20 gauge, 22 inch barrel. Single shot
Douglas

stringtalker

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 19, 2016, 11:36:44 AM
Just because it is .570 does not mean it isnt to tight. It is all dependant on the gun and load. Each gun is different. You also say the gun shoots better dirty. Is that with a different choke/load or is that with this choke/load?
It shoots better dirty with any choke or load'
Douglas

Philippe

Quote from: stringtalker on March 19, 2016, 07:21:08 PM

You ask for suggestions but wont listen....... Just look at the post about deep cleaning and polishing the barrel, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results.

stringtalker

Quote from: Philippe on March 19, 2016, 08:30:05 PM
Quote from: stringtalker on March 19, 2016, 07:21:08 PM

You ask for suggestions but wont listen....... Just look at the post about deep cleaning and polishing the barrel, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results.
YES I AM LISTENING!!! I have deep cleaned the barrel, it made the pattern worse, if you would look at my post, I stated, that my gun shot better with a dirty barrel. No I didn't say that I had previously deep cleaned it, sorry for the misunderstanding, some guns do not like a deep cleaning.
Douglas

snapper1982

You can not know that the gun shoots better with every choke and load without having shot every choke and load out of it dirty and deep cleaned. With that said your best bet is to open the choke up. Try a .575 or .580.

stringtalker

Quote from: snapper1982 on March 19, 2016, 09:12:33 PM
You can not know that the gun shoots better with every choke and load without having shot every choke and load out of it dirty and deep cleaned. With that said your best bet is to open the choke up. Try a .575 or .580.
I've tried 4 to 5 different chokes and numerous different types of ammo. Deep cleaning compared to a dirty barrel with what I've tried, the gun likes a dirty barrel with all that I've tried. I'm shooting the federal heavyweight #7's, they shoot better than anything I've tried which everyone knows this, it's the best factory round for the 20 gauge. I will try a more open choke and go from there, good hunting guys, God bless
Douglas